dvd2svcd

I got a qyestion guys.
I just downed a metallica dvd and its a 7.5 gb so i wanna try to compress with dvd2svcd and cce2.50..
But i always ripped-converted dvds which were allready in iso image format...
This is a video ts folder,so is it possible to compress it.or i have to make a iso first???

you could compress it with dvd shrink ...not ideal but it will make it fit to a standard dvdr :)

you could make the menus more compressed than the rest of the dvd make an iso then mount and play it back and see if its good enough to burn to dvd :)

If it's a Metallica DVD, you can compress it (DVDShrink) without any significant quality loss over an encoder, or, for best quality, delete it permanently! :D

Last edited:
Well.first im not sure yet what is inside the folder,i have downed around 90%,but from nfo files its a retail dvd-not compressed..
But i think couse its got to be a lot smaller to fit on dvd5 that shrink is not a good solution-its just to big...
I did it before with dvd2svcd but it was always ripped from my dvd,or it was from a iso image and i was checking to use a internal routines and it came out perfect always......
Anyway question is..
How to compress it with a dvd2svcd(dvd to dvd mode)if the files are allready on my hd in video ts folder??
As for comments this is metallica from 1992 binge and purge-3 cd live and this is a real deal..not a metallica **** in present time
btw if its no possible will go with a dvdreasy way as i wanna awoid transcoding if possible-cce is the way to go specially in this case :)

Ok,that was the real answer..Thanks bionic so much.....
Thanks to all posters too...
Bionicf thanks again bud as i was reallu tight with hd space :)

NOTE i did say its NOT IDEAL as i know how much zver prefers his stuff to be spot on when it comes to music :)

I dont use DVD2SVCD for anything other than AVI to MPEG2 to author in dvd lab :)

im happy with what i use it for :)

@PC-GUY not guilty mate :)

at least not this time :p

i know what you mean bud,as i always use shrink3.2 for movies couse usually theu got 2 audios and big menus with some scenes theres....so when you strip that you got something like 6 gb so thats ok for transcoding..
In this case there is nothing to strip so to transcode from 7.7 to 4.7 is too much for dvdshrink-probably couse the audio part will be as it is-i will use the original source so thats why i need a qyality encoding,maybe even gonna try procoder specially for this case :)
But now thinking i will try dvdshrink first just out of cyuriosity to see what will come out of it??if i see the difference when watching will delete it and try with cce,if no good again will use procoder in mastering quality-no matter how long it takes :D

VIPER_1069 said:
make an iso then mount and play it back and see if its good enough to burn to dvd :)

this is exactly why i suggested this in my original post :)

if you mount as virtual then you havent even wasted a dvdr :)

zver said:
I got a qyestion guys.
I just downed a metallica dvd and its a 7.5 gb so i wanna try to compress with dvd2svcd and cce2.50..
But i always ripped-converted dvds which were allready in iso image format...
This is a video ts folder,so is it possible to compress it.or i have to make a iso first???
Believe it or not, but there has been a Turorial here for the past few years to explain exactly how to do that, might want to check out http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=26515 :D

Also, check the DVD for WAV audio. There are many old releases that just used the original WAV audio rather than convert it to AC3. Again, to save a heap of space, if it does have WAV, then that needs to be converted to AC3 (the wav will be stereo so convert to 224 bitrate AC3 stereo) and then there may not be any encodeing needed at all, or just a tad.

If it does contain WAV audio, ratDVD is a simple solution to convert it to AC3 on-the-fly while compressing. If it contains very large menus, MenuShrink is a must for pre-processing.

Well.belive it or not i have never seen this tut,i dont knnow how i missed it as i like your tutorials,really..
Its just that i become familiar with a dvd2svcd since i read that your famous tutorial for avi 2 svcd few years ago with dvd2svcd,and i saw in settings there that its possible a dvd 2 dvd too,and btw i succesfully made 10-15 dvds of dvd9,with cce2.250 as encoder :) so far..
Anyway thanks for tips and now i will start the thing so will see what is inside and make a plan :)

In my case i checked the iso i made from ts folder and unfortanetely there is no garbage at all..
There is 1 audio,1 extras-interwiew which i wanna keep and the rest are songs so i need all 8 gb unfortanetely.
I was thinking to try that new tool,but it need 2.6 ghz,and 512 ram which i do have but sometimes if i wanna give a dvd to friend and they got a slower mashine????or they dont have a tv out so they would have to watch it on monitor..
Also you cant predict a exact size which is a big minus-probably the next version will fix those things :)
Btw i opened a shrink and to backup all it went to 56.% compression so it would not be good
Anyway gonna strt now with dvd2 svcd and cce with 4 pass vbr and will see how it goes??

Last edited: