DVD RW problem

ukrkoz

happy new year everyone

i have very faithful emachines T3209, served me well for 5 yrs.
OEM setup is NEC ND2500A DVD RW and a cdrom drive.
some time ago i have noticed that i can not use DVDRW for recording. when inserting blank cd into the drive and proceeding to burn cd, roxio will shut itself down, unspecified error encountered. when the same attempted with windows media player, error occured.
today it finally got me, and i fooled with it for several hrs. what i found is few things:
1. when a BLANK cd is inserted into nec dvd rw, it will not open it. double clicking on drive D in "my computer" produces message from windows explorer "drive D unaccessible/invalid function". after that, drives will not eject, must restart machine to open it.
2. when any prerecorded cd or dvd is inserted into the same drive, it will work fine and i even added a file to a cd, just to test it.
3. i can not burn any audio cd, as if i insert prerecorded cd, even with enough space for a music cd, it will propmt to insert a blank cd, and when so done, burning program shuts itself down due to an error/dvd drive freezes
4. if checked from my computer/drive d/properties/recording - "enable cd recording on this drive" check box unchecks itself and keeps staying unchecked
5. so that i do not forget - W XP home, Intel celeron, roxio easy media creator 8, and i like it a lot. can't stand nero.
6. i assumed that my dvd drive is bad and purchased sony dvd rwa 6 hrs ago, installed it instead of cd rom, set up exactly as cd rom was setup, i think it's "per cable solution" - and have exactly the same problem with the new dvd rom as i have with nec dvd rom
7. i spent about an hr on live chat connection with tech from emachines, including enabling remote control over my machine - she ran out of ideas. pretty much, she told me to reboot machine off factory cd, which i am not quite willing to do due to some programs that i had downloaded and use, and they are hard to restore after reboot.
8 i reset system to previous check point from windows restore to as far back as i could, same problem
9 cds that i use work fine on my laptop, i just burned 2 audio cds on it.
10 we had both drives uninstalled/machine restarted/reinstalled by windows - same problem.

any ideas? it is apparently software problem, as brand new dvd rwa has exactly the same problem as one that came with computer. everything worked fine till maybe 2 mths ago, when i started noticing those glitches in burning or recording cds.

Last edited:
3. i can not burn any audio cd, as if i insert prerecorded cd, even with enough space for a music cd, it will propmt to insert a blank cd, and when so done, burning program shuts itself down due to an error/dvd drive freezes
an standard conform Audio-CD is a one session CD; so you can't use a prerecorded CD, you always need a fresh and empty media;

in generally i recommend you:
- uninstall all burning software,
- uninstall all media players e.g. Real Player, Quick Time; Intervideo ...
- disable Windows' native CD burning service,
- disable Windows Media Player's CD burning plugin
- reboot
- apply the attached reg file
- reboot
- install your prefered burning software; only one, nothing more;

Greetings from
Duracell

damn, attaching files won't work; :(

if you are familiar with reg files, you know what to do:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"LowerFilters"=-
"UpperFilters"=-

ukrkoz

makes sense. thank you. corrupt registry...
no, i am not that well familiar with reg files. you can email attachment to me if you want to, email

final aftermath is like this:
i had a sleepless night and fooled with this again till 4 am. i even installed nero essentials that came with new dvd burner.
1. nero burns audio cds awright (!??)
2. nero probably can burn mp3s, but there's lack of one feature that i have in roxio - playlist editing, by being able to change mp3s order to the way i like it.
3. so i tried roxio again to burn mp3 - and it does work.
4. grand total: i can not burn audio files with roxio or window burner; i can burn mp3s fine. i can burn audio files with nero.

i feel i really simply need to reboot machine off factory restore cd. it's been acting up anyway, like several attempts before it starts, or lost video signal once in a while. 'bout time. i am waiting for quicken to let me know how i can re-download my quicken 2007, will backup quicken files, and reboot it. the rest of my stuff that matters is already backed up on dvds and 2gb usb stick.

thank you, duracell. happy new year.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. nero probably can burn mp3s, but there's lack of one feature that i have in roxio - playlist editing, by being able to change mp3s order to the way i like it.
ummm just drag them up and down the list in the nero window and let go to the order you wish them to be in, or drag and drop them into the compilation window as you want them to appear on the disk :)

ukrkoz

ummm just drag them up and down the list in the nero window and let go to the order you wish them to be in, or drag and drop them into the compilation window as you want them to appear on the disk :)

tried to drag and movefor yrs, nero simply does not do it. now, let me make it clear: nero will move AUDIO files around in playlist, but not mp3s. the only 2 programs that do it for me, so far, are roxio and real1 player 10.
c, i do not like to listen to the same style or artist "in a row", i like mix and match soundtracks on my mp3s. thus this feature is of great value to me. and i do not listen to audio cds in my car, and i drive a lot, for yrs, and a well made mp3 will take around 200 tracks on it and last few weeks worth of drive.

anyways, i ended up formatting my harddrive. also, instead of using OEM emachines cd that came with it (it'll freeze during installation anyway), i installed W XP copy only. so, none of the manufacturers junk and unwanted programs along. will keep me busy restoring my favs for few nights, but hey, that's what the nights are for.

thanks everyone for input.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

wise men don't judge. they seek understanding.

tried to drag and movefor yrs, nero simply does not do it. now, let me make it clear: nero will move AUDIO files around in playlist, but not mp3s
NERO orders data files [which mp3's are] alphabetically.

If you want a particular order, just number the files accordingly and they will be placed inthat order, Simple.