dvd player probs

wackyracer

just installed a toshiba sd -c2502 dvd player in my friends laptop - toshiba tecra 8100. It has windows xp with service pack 2 on it and is fully upto date with updates. It has windows media player 10, windvd and powerdvd - all fully upto date.
It will play all cd's fine, it will read dvd's that i have written, however it doesnt play pre recored dvds ( films etc), saying that when i first tried it, it did play one of my dvds but the sound was very quiet. Now however it fails to read dvd films at all. I check the sound drivers and they are fine ( plays cd's ok).
So why wont it play dvds? i have checked the region is set correctly, and all the other pointers i have seen on here. any clues anyone?

wackyracer

ok so i have an update. i now have the dvd playing home recorded and some pre recorded dvds. seesm that the dvds that dont say dual layer will play but any that say dual layer disk wont... this is on the pre recorded films that you buy. Is there an update i can get to sort this? my win xp has sp2 and is fully upto date.

if it plays single layer DVDs O.K. and dual layer DVDs won't work, then it looks like a real hardware failure;

wackyracer

hope not! but just incase im wrong about my theory. does anyone know the email addy for toshiba? tried a few but seems thier web site has invalid addys on it!

sorry, can't help you about the mail adress;
personally i would go to the shop, where you bought the drive;