dvd and cd

i got a question....i was wondering if dvd's and cd's r the same thing but dvd's just holds more space??..and also if im able to burn the dvd files onto cd's....and if i can burn data files onto dvd's....

They are not the same But U can burn loadsa data to a DVD U can also put a DVD movie on CDR but U need to encode to (S)VCD.

They are not really the same thing but funtionally they are much the same. Both can hold Data of any sort simply by copying from one to the other. But dont expect someing thats burnt to a dvdr specifically to work on a CD and vise versa ( I'm refering to Games here). But a simple ZIP file can be burnt to either and copied from one to the other. Usse just about any recent burning software in Data mode.

lets say if i burn a "cd audio" onto a dvd....like make them wav files and burned them onto a dvd....will my cd player and cd rom b able to play them??..and if i burned a vcd or svcd would my dvd player b able to read it and cd rom??..avi, mpg, mp3, jpg, txt, exe, rar etc. etc. should work fine right??..

Last edited:
"....will my cd player and cd rom b able to play them?" You really answered it yourself, they are CD units NOT dvd units. A CD-ROM/Player CANNOT read a dvd, end of story. There is also no software thay can burn a VCD or SVCD to a DVD simply because nothing can ever read the format. MP3's burnt a CD work on most DVD Players, but copy the same files to a DVDR and the same player does not play them. Every player is different. But you can copy them to a DVDR just to archive them.

so im guessing if i was to get the files in the dvd and split it so it'll fit cd's is not gonna work right??..well if not possible imma have to convert them to svcd....how would i do that??..i remember u posting some tutorials on how to convert all these video files stuffs....can u give me that link again....sorry for asking all these annoying questions....but i never tried burning a dvd so i dont really know what im doing....just wanna start messing around with dvd's so ill have the knowledge :)....i been burning vcd's and svcd's only....just wanna try something new....got some dvd files....got a dvdrw....gotta go get some dvd's and try it out :)....