Dual Layer Capable drives

There are some missing right now.Some may be firmware upgradeable (not sure on the reliability,need testing).See Below..

Benq 822A Benq 800A>822A(hacked)
NEC 2500>2510(hacked)
Liteon 812s>832s(hacked)

There may be more.

A word of advise don't run out and buy a drive just because it DL, wait cause the reviews are all say compatibility problems. Infact this is from cdrinfo's conclusion of the BenQ DW830A:
"For sure, the increased 7.96GB will become handy to all those who wish to make 1:1 backups of DVD9 movies or even store two DVD movies at one disc (with the proper software). Users who wish just to store data, might find the DL solution not so good due to high incompatibility with DVD Writers ( & in general DVD readers for PC/MAC).

We don't know if the compatibility issues can be solved with firmware update or its just a media problem. We assume you wouldn't want to have a disc that can be read only by few drives, especially when includes 7.96GB of important data." Infact cdfreaks gives a list and other than the drive and some liteon drives all drives failed to read the second layer.:eek:
It wouldn't be to nice to find out it can't be fixed with a firmware update. So buy the drive cause the price right not that its a DL. :)

Yep...Good advice for sure.I think bitsetting to Dvdrom book type will be a prerequisite.2.4X DL write times will be the fastest for awhile.Finding DL media is also a pain,as well as cost(about 15$U.S. per disc).

Great advice. I think we'll still be using single layer discs for quite a while yet. Too many issues with the DL discs. Will they play in my set top player? Or another dvd drive? I'm pretty sure you have to use both layers on a burn or it might not be readable. And of course the price of these discs. The good thing is that SL discs should be going down even more in price and so will the burners. I'll probably just get a faster SL drive.

My opinion is that there is a lot of hype about dual layer & like Blane SL seems fine to me <> with the modern compression & stripping S/ware I get good results so I reckon its a wait & see scenario!!

I also agree with you all. One extra comment tough is it feels like de ja vu. Do we re-call Incompatiblity, +/- drama and expensive media when DVD writing was new. looks like we are at it again. Its just a wait and see game me thinks.

stone_burner said:
832s can be bought unhacked. I just got one on Saturday. :)
Yep...was actually referring to overclocking/hacking of other drives to new specs.Eg..812S@832S (wasn't clear on my post).;)

Just bought a LiteOn 812S. Haven't hacked the F/W yet, but the built quality is no where near Pioneer. The tray is very flappy when openning. Generally a little disappointed, but hopefully the burn result will impress me.

woody said:
There are some missing right now.Some may be firmware upgradeable (not sure on the reliability,need testing).See Below..

Benq 822A Benq 800A>822A(hacked)
NEC 2500>2510(hacked)
Liteon 812s>832s(hacked)

There may be more.
The Liteon DL hack now reaches out to the 451S and 851S
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

The -51S models cannot do 8x on -R or 4x on -RW, so the result is an 8x/4x 4x/2x 2.4x ... on +/-R, +/-RW and DL

NOT the 11's - they use an older laser, so don't expect them to be brought into the fold!

Houman said:
Just bought a LiteOn 812S. Haven't hacked the F/W yet, but the built quality is no where near Pioneer. The tray is very flappy when openning. Generally a little disappointed, but hopefully the burn result will impress me.
Nice choice bud!The 832S seems to be a good DL burner(according to some reviews).Holding out on the 812S DL overclocked firmware is a good idea for now.Let others be the guinea pigs.DL Media prices are outrageous too,as you know. ;)

As one of the guinea pigs I now have a Liteon 832s, lol. I patched the latest firmware with the omnipatcher and now I can burn all my ritek G04 4x media at 8x :) so far so good.

elsamay said:
As one of the guinea pigs I now have a Liteon 832s, lol. I patched the latest firmware with the omnipatcher and now I can burn all my ritek G04 4x media at 8x :) so far so good.
Try Kprobe and let us know how they look. You may be in for a surprise. :eek:

PC-GUY said:
Try Kprobe and let us know how they look. You may be in for a surprise. :eek:

I had Kprobe already installed but hadn't used it .. hmm you are quite right , I am surprised - unpleasantly.

One thing is obvious this liteon burner much prefers high quality media. Results with pioneer and Tdk media were much better than with ritek g04 burned at 4x or 8x (otoh my Sony Dru 500 loves the riteks) and Princo were better than Ritek. However, all these media play perfectly well in my optical drives so I will try to ignore the kprobe results. I just wish i hadn't started with kprobe because now I am spending all my time testing the media and no time to watch the dvd movies :)

elsamay said:
Hehe...oops.Thanks for the report Elsamay.Seems the upgrade is safe. ;)

woody said:
Hehe...oops.Thanks for the report Elsamay.Seems the upgrade is safe. ;)
Well if you mean upgrading the firmware to the latest on an 832s, its fine. I read the huge info in the liteon forum at club.cdfreaks. But a lot of people just upgraded their 812s to 832s. I am not looking to burn dl yet. But it has the functionality and there sure are a lot of Liteon fanatics who provide great support in case of problems (which i have not had yet) Its not always a bad thing to pig out , lol