Drives configuration

SJRM

Hello:

I have the following configuration on my PC :
1 HDD as Master on the Primary IDE channel. This HDD is used only for the Operative System, the program's files, and temporary files (it has two partitions, ones for the operative system and programs, the other for the paging file and other temporary files)
1 DVD/CD-RW as Slave on the primary IDE channel
1 HDD as Master on the Secondary IDE channel. This HDD is used only for data (mp3, videos, CD images, Word documents, Excel files....)

my computer is working fine, but i have hear many different opinions about what is the best configuration, so... i want your opinions please (maybe is it best to have the two HDD on the same IDE channel and the DVD / CD-RW alone on the secodary channel?).

Also, i am planning to buy a DVD-RW (and still keep my current DVD/CD-RW), what will be the best configuration with this scenario of two HDDs and two writers?.

Thanks
Sergio R.

The DVDR burner probably better as a Master with the Data Drive as slave but Im not sure about the Fixed drive config except to say they would be better running on RAID (my 2 are on RAID slots on the MOBO) but I believe U can get RAID cards as well.The beauty of RAID besides performance etc is you get 4 IDE slot for Burners & ROMS.

my recommendation:
1. channel 80-wired cable, master: system HDD, slave: storage HDD
2. channel 40-wired cable, master: DVD/CD

after buying the new drive:
1. channel 80-wired cable, master: system HDD, slave: storage HDD
2. channel 40-wired cable, master: new DVD-RW, slave: DVD/CD-RW

configure all drives by jumper, don't use cable select;

Greetings from
Duracell

SJRM

Thks

Thks ;) . I will try it on weekend.