Double Layer DVD back-up

Hi everybody,
I need some help in backing up some movies I own.
I have a LiteON LTN486S (external) EZ-DUB.
Can somebody tell me how to copy double layer DVD?
Do I need special media?
I read to DVD no problem but as soon as I try to burn it I get the answer that there is not enough room on the blank DVD.
Please, help.
Mabelle.:confused:

mabelle26 said:
Hi everybody,
I need some help in backing up some movies I own.
I have a LiteON LTN486S (external) EZ-DUB.
Can somebody tell me how to copy double layer DVD?
Do I need special media?
I read to DVD no problem but as soon as I try to burn it I get the answer that there is not enough room on the blank DVD.
Please, help.
Mabelle.:confused:

yes a dual or as you put it a double layer dvd needs a dual/double layer media to burn onto as single layer is about half the size of a dual layer disk :)

Thanks Viper,
The problem now is were can I find double layer media and how to actually copy the disc? The original looks just like any other DVD. Initially I started to make the copy using DVDDecrypter and got the following info:

LITE-ON SOHW-1673SU XS02 (USB)
Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 3,163,569
Size: 6,478,989,312 bytes
Time: 703:02:69 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,058,672
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,039,359

Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 1,842,752 (58.25%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,320,817 (41.75%)

Please, help.
Mabelle

No idea where you live at, but I think the forum sponsor sells double layer media...
I live at an isolated greek island, but I can find DL media here as well (although the 4,5 euro per-piece pricetag isn't exactly appetizing...).

Thank guys,
I just have to compress the movies from DVD-9 to 5. I backed-up 2 so far and I didn't loose any significant quality(dvdshrink+nero).
Mabelle

HansHH

Probably you will have to change the options or preferences of the program you are using to burn. i use DVD Shrink and before copying I have to change the disk format in the preferences menu.

mabelle26 said:
Thank guys,
I just have to compress the movies from DVD-9 to 5. I backed-up 2 so far and I didn't loose any significant quality(dvdshrink+nero).
Mabelle

CONGRATS :)

with trial and error you can get some good results :)

a tip here is to remove unwanted AUDIO TRACKS ,VIDEO AND SUBTITLES to get MORE quality on the WANTED VIDEO TRACKS and use a little more compression on the MENUS :)