Dont give up do they

Report: Prosecution hasn't cut downloads

Friday, January 20 2006, 22:10 GMT -- by Dave West

Court action against illegal file-sharing has not reduced downloading, an industry report has shown.

Music industry bosses say it is good news that downloading has not risen and have called for even more legal action.

Despite 20,000 court cases in 17 countries, the level of file-sharing has stayed the same for two years.

John Kennedy, chairman of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industries (IFPI), said the industry was "winning the war but we haven't won the war."

"As broadband rolls out and as there's an explosion in many countries of broadband," he continued, "file-sharing is being contained."

"Those who've got into the habit of consuming their music for free are very difficult to shift. And frankly it's an argument for increasing the scale of court cases because at the moment, people still don't think it's going to be them."

He supported the continuing expansion of legal download sales, which are were worth more than £570m in 2005.

Mr Kennedy also said internet service providers needed to take action customers who download, and said legal action could be taken against them.

The way to reduce downloading, is to set a fair price, and a fair level of usability for tracks.

I'd be happy to buy "cheap compilation" tracks at "cheap compilation" prices, but they'll never sell me a track at 99c or equivalent.

The model of the free (and illegal) file shares proves one thing, no advertising budget needed, so instead of deciding how much to fleece the users for (as compared to an album) and how much Digital Restrictions Management to subject them to, how about working out the price they can actually afford to sell tracks for?

A fixed price doesn't work - release singles would obviously be dearer (and as poor value as they are in the shops) while current album and back catalogue need to be on a descending tier, with "unknown band plays the music of" at bargain basement prices, and that's where I'd do my shopping.

All my current CD's are £2.99 compilations, from such great labels as "Tring", freebies from newspapers etc.

Most modern music doesn't stand listening to more than once anyway, ineptly mastered with levels against the limiter.

I would gladly pay a small fee to AVOID downloading (and hearing on TV and radio, of course...) 99.5% of the current "musical" (arghhh!) by-products...

LTR12101B said:
I used to like the original "Axel F" tune / Beverley Hills Cop theme - until it got taken over by that damn frog!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/242972 KILL! (Plays tune for **LOSING**)
http://www.arcadeonline.com/games/shooting/kill-the-crazy-frog/ KILL!
http://www.agrreviews.com/crazyfrog/ KILL!
ditto mate ... its slaughtered loads of good tracks now :mad:

kids made millions from it and it wasent even his own work it was him and a mate and its the mates noise that was used ... his mate got nada apparently :mad: