Does anybody know why a computer might resume from standby without a prompt?

Just wondering because I have this issue from time to time.

It's in standy, then, without any movement of mouse or input from keyboard, it will resume from standby.

Ideas?? (besides the fact that it's WindowsXP)

If u have a modem and you have wake on modem selected in bios, it will kick in everytime the phone rings. Even if u dont answer it or u are not connected to the internet. (as long as the phone lead is in the socket!).
It took me a week to find this.
I thought my son was messin with my PC.

captain1284 said:
you`ll also get the same via a lan. if youve got on lan wake enabled..

I'm on a LAN but how could this be if there is nothing to make it WAKE ? It wakes only if I prompt it too (via keyboard or mouse).

It's not like daveml's example where the phone line might be receiving a call.

Is my ip visible when I'm in standby? Just wondering if this could happen if a hacker is trying to get in. Maybe a stupid question but I don't know enough about internet security.

Check to see if an application is trying to access services (such as an antivirus updating), the modem could be called on wake. Even if u are not physically connected.

dx

Wedge...it is possible that you have Wake On LAN set to active in your BIOS or a jumper on your Mobo. Consult your manual for confirmation.

As far as the WOL (wake on LAN). While your 'puter is in standby mode try to connect to it with a little file sharing from another computer (you said you were on a LAN...are there other computers on the LAN? you have file sharing enabled, yes?!). This should confirm if the WOL is enabled.

However, it could just be that your mouse is very sensitive. I used to have a Logitech ball mouse that was great for gaming and apps like Photoshop...but a door slam would cause enough of a vibration in the room to activate it and cause the system to wake from standby. My solution was when I walked away from my computer for a long time or purposely entered standby, I flipped the mouse upside-down. This causes the mouse ball to drop within the mouse itself and stay away from the internal rollers...thus no activation. ;)

As far as Internet security...you didn't mention if you are behind a hardware Firewall or not. Nevertheless, a Personal Firewall will protect you from the Net and others on the LAN. Might I suggest Kerio Personal Firewall as your choice...one of the best (if not the best) and its FREE!

h**p://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

newby said:
Check to see if an application is trying to access services (such as an antivirus updating), the modem could be called on wake. Even if u are not physically connected.

I have Norton's Anti-Virus enabled for checking for updates automatically. Could this be the culprit?

dx

Its possible. Normally when in suspend mode proggies stay in memory but take a nap. Norton is notorious for doing stupid sh*t...so yes it's possible. :rolleyes:

Try disabling the Norton AV update just prior to suspend and see what happens.

And yes newby is correct...just as I mentioned Wake On LAN, there could be other BIOS setting that are set to "wake." Again consult you manual.

dxkim said:
Wedge...it is possible that you have Wake On LAN set to active in your BIOS or a jumper on your Mobo. Consult your manual for confirmation.

As far as the WOL (wake on LAN). While your 'puter is in standby mode try to connect to it with a little file sharing from another computer (you said you were on a LAN...are there other computers on the LAN? you have file sharing enabled, yes?!). This should confirm if the WOL is enabled.

However, it could just be that your mouse is very sensitive. I used to have a Logitech ball mouse that was great for gaming and apps like Photoshop...but a door slam would cause enough of a vibration in the room to activate it and cause the system to wake from standby. My solution was when I walked away from my computer for a long time or purposely entered standby, I flipped the mouse upside-down. This causes the mouse ball to drop within the mouse itself and stay away from the internal rollers...thus no activation. ;)

As far as Internet security...you didn't mention if you are behind a hardware Firewall or not. Nevertheless, a Personal Firewall will protect you from the Net and others on the LAN. Might I suggest Kerio Personal Firewall as your choice...one of the best (if not the best) and its FREE!

h**p://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

I think the WOL feature isn't set to active because a message notifies me that I am "now connected to a LAN" whenever I come out of standby. i.e., I think it is waking everytime I come out of standby.

I'm sharing an internet connection with 3 other computers in the house. I have a cable router that connects them all and they each have complete and independent access to the net. The router itself does act as a hardware firewall, but I'm thinking of trying out the link to Kerio so thanks for that.

One other thing, I do not know how to go about sharing files among them. Is this even possible with the configuration I am talking about? It probably involves manually altering the router settings?

Another thing, my mouse is VERY sensitive as well. I have many times entered standby with my mouse only to reactivate the computer due to a tiny movement of the mouse when pulling my hand away from it. Good idea you had about turning your mouse over. In my case, I have an optical so that's a no go. But I have to admit, this is the first thing that came to my mind whenever my computer first did this. It could be the cause at some times? Who knows?

I'm beginning to think the problem is either the mouse (like you suggested), or that newby's suggestion about anti-virus software or other updating-type software being the cause.

Believe it or not, it could be something as simple as walking by or into the room where the computer is. I once had the same problem and a clever technician told me to put the computer to sleep and just walk out of the room. Depending on how heavy my footsteps were the computer would wake up. The mouse would vibrate just enough to kick the computer out of hibernate. Even a plane or a heavy truck rolling by could do it sometimes. It's certainly worth looking at. Sometimes the solution to the problem lies outside the box.

Had a look at the BIOS...

Looked at my BIOS settings and this is interesting:

First of all, I don't know how my computer ever seemed to follow any power management rules that I set in XP because Power Management is set to 'Disabled'.

Second, ACPI Suspend State -- What is it?
It is set to S3 (low power consumption but not all drivers support this).
If set to S1 it is safest (but consumes more power).
Explanation please?? Where should it be set?

Third, Wake-On-Modem Ring = Stay Off
Wake-On-PME = Power On
Should I turn off Wake-On-PME (Power Management Enable)?

Re: Had a look at the BIOS...

Wedge said:
Looked at my BIOS settings and this is interesting:

First of all, I don't know how my computer ever seemed to follow any power management rules that I set in XP because Power Management is set to 'Disabled'.

Second, ACPI Suspend State -- What is it?
It is set to S3 (low power consumption but not all drivers support this).
If set to S1 it is safest (but consumes more power).
Explanation please?? Where should it be set?

Third, Wake-On-Modem Ring = Stay Off
Wake-On-PME = Power On
Should I turn off Wake-On-PME (Power Management Enable)?
Advanced Control Power Interface = ACPI, basically a form of APM
Set to S1 (State 1 , or so i believe) to be on the safe side.
If u do have APM or ACPI enabled then "wake on" PME should kick in on these devices.