Distortion on audio burn

kavanagj

I found a couple of audio cdr burns that some songs are distorted.

Either couple tracks or ok then the rest are distorted.

The distortion is a fuzziness, like bad AM reception.

This has occurred with a couple different cdr media and only 2 or 3 burns.

There is no noticible marks on the cdr's.

Any ideas. Just bad disks ?

My burner is ok most of the time. I thought maybe something kicked in on my PC during the burn, so Ive turned off the screen saver and energy saver.

Any other ideas

ta

What was the source of your burned audio files?
A disc to disc copy?
Plain WAV files ripped by you and then reburned?
Ripped with which program?

Were these files ever encoded to MP3, WMA or any other format than WAV?

What program did you use to burn?
Which burning speed?
What were your "couple different cdr media"?

Greetings from
Duracell

kavanagj

Audio files where ripped from Cds into WAV files.
New cd compilation created with Nero.
They files where never mp3.

Media was various types

Media silver/silver unbranded. Advertised a Grade A.
Verbatim datawrite injket printable.

Burning speed. Cant remember what I sed (guess its 24) the disc and burner go to 52

Jim

kavanagj said:
Did you "prehear" the specific files at your HDD after ripping?
the ripping process itself would be a good explanation for your problem; Nero isn't the best ripper, you better should try EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de);

creating/burning the compilation with Nero shouldn't be a problem; but don't burn Audio CDs faster then 8x or 16x; my Yamaha F1 chooses always 4x or 8x automatically when burning in audio mode;

about the media: try to check the fabricator with Nero CD Speed; personally i wouldn't trust in unbranded;
don't know about "Verbatim datawrite injket printable"; i'm using "Verbatim Super Azo printable surface" which are made by Mitsubishi and trustable;

As our smart mod Duracell said,could be few things,but i would suggest to change a ripper first-thats a must.
So go with eac,do a proper setup-disable a beginner mode,rip a cd and report back.Eac is supposed to give a 100% rip.If not-it will write in a log exact possition of a glitch-click-error...etc..etc.. :)
So if the rip is good but still have a problem you go farther,untill you try all solutions which were mentioned :)

kavanagj

Thanks guys. Will use exactaudiocopy in the future

The tracks sounded fine on the HDD before burning.
I'm beginning to think I may have burned at too great a speed when the problems arrived.

My burner burns to 56 speed as does the various media Ive used. I've read discussions on optimal burning rate but they seem inconclusive. Advice seems to be be, burn at a few rates and have a listen. Ive tried a couple of speeds and can't hear any difference. (with a good burn) or burn at lowest speed. !

Jim

kavanagj said:
I've read discussions on optimal burning rate but they seem inconclusive.
like i wrote above, my burner chooses the audio burning speed itself (4x or 8x), because the media specs are stored in the drives firmware; and i won't discuss with my burner; :D