dell xps T500

02coled

Hello
hi im trying to upgrade my mates pc and he doesnt want to spend much money and i know its old and everything btut he has xp pro so its faster then before and he wants a bit more grunt (lol) any how does anyone know what the most powerfull P3 slot 1 cpu u can put it currently he has a 500mhz philipines and in sisoft sandra it says 500mhz + which isnt really a help does any one know or upgraded this rig before thanks
damian cole

It needs to be one that runs at 100 MHz clock, a 133 would run at 3/4 speed, or maybe not at all.

Another possibility may be the use of a slocket adapter and a socket 370 processor.

Had a look on ebay, but can't be certain if any are ok.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-PENTIUM-3-700MHZ-CPU-SLOT-1-P3-TESTED_W0QQitemZ6850745000QQcategoryZ14292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - a 700, looks promising, but is 500-700 worth the bother? Also not sure if the series (1.65V model) is supported by that board and BIOS... it really is a minefield!.

Looking for a Celeron 1000 or above (in PGA370) and a suitable slocket adapter (if it's a "Tulatin" series, then the slocket adapter needs to support that) may be a better bet.

To be honest, it's an "if I were you, I wouldn't start from here" situation, as even doubling the CPU speed, it's running on rather slow RAM etc. - actually, best thing for Windows XP on that, would be to make sure it has enough RAM. For XP, 2GB is extreme, 1 GB is appropriate for a decent "power system", 512MB for an average system, 256MB is budget and anything less is a bit of a joke

Master

Gold Member
A Celeron 1100/100 or a Pentium3 1100/100 (Coppermine with slotket) is the fastest cpu can use for this kind of mobos. Tualatin cpus are normaly a no go for this mobo. Perhaps you will need a bios update for the mobo. Perhaps you will find some at ebay....just saw some at ebay germany.

http://computer.search.ebay.de/1100_Sockel-370_W0QQfromZR4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQlopgZ2QQsacatZ78770QQssPageNameZWLRS

You will need a fcpga 370 adapter (slotket), a normal ppga 370 adapter won't work. MSI and Abit made great adapter.

Last edited:

02coled

hello
does the FSB of the CPU have to be 100mhz or can i put in a 133mhz and it run slighty slower than normall and the MOBO runs at FSB100mhz
thanks
damian

02coled said:
hello
does the FSB of the CPU have to be 100mhz or can i put in a 133mhz and it run slighty slower than normall and the MOBO runs at FSB100mhz
thanks
damian
LTR12101B said:
It needs to be one that runs at 100 MHz clock, a 133 would run at 3/4 speed, or maybe not at all.
did you read this part of LTRS post :confused: :)

02coled

does any 1 know exactly

hello
does any one know the exact hughest i can put in on slot 1 at 100 FSB or is there no point and go for skt 370 with adapter and is there any drivers or mods needed for this to work
thanks
damian cole

to be honest the investment of a better board and processor would be the best option in the long run instead of trying to make a racecar out of a rollerskate :)

with the messing about gettin the older type processor although maby cheaper the wise option would be the upgrade :)

shop around you may find the board and processor for about the same price or just a bit more :)

if you google around you could get a board for about £20 and a processor for about £25-£30 :)

maby less at a computer fair :)

02coled

hello
i know VIPER but m8 whants it on right cheap lol nealry free so looking at liek 20 max i know its cheap and no moeny at all
. so would ram or cpu be best option
thanks
damian cole

RAM could be an issue too - looking it up at Crucial (found as a Dimension XPS, T series), it give the warning, typical for systems that have architecture limitations to the type of RAM they accept.

The typical limitation generally means that most 128MB DIMMS will work, but that 256MB must be the low density type (8 chips on each side).

Odd though, I tried MY old motherboard, a GA-7IXE4 which I KNOW requires 256MB DIMMS to be double banked, low density, and it gave me what appeared to be their standard RAM id.

There is ANOTHER limitation, common to some Intel chipsets where they could NOT support double banked, or not more than two pieces of double banked / 1 piece doubles banked and two single.

Anyway, trying the UK site...
From crucial, in the £20 range, only a 128MB - an ok upgrade if it has a spare slot (3 slots), but it may well be "all up" with 128's for a total of 384Mb already.

If it's not already full of 128's, any 128MB (PC100 or 133) will probably work, it's the 256MB DIMMS where you normally hit the compatibility problems.

Ain't old machines wonderful!