Dead HD

My partner in a moment of big stupidity connected one of our 2 WD2000 with the data connector reversed ending the life of the disk, just for curiosity to see if I could recover the info contained in the drive I swaped the logical card from the good one to the non-working and it worked!, the disk performed like nothing had happened, so now I want to know if anyone knows where to get a logical card for a HD or if there´s a place where it can be sent to repair so we could get the disk to work again and save a few bucks.

weboneando said:
I could recover the info contained in the drive I swaped the logical card from the good one to the non-working and it worked!
What do you call "logical card"?
Is it the HDDs internal controller, the circuit surface at the sub side of the HDD?
Or do you mean a usual IDE controller PCI card which often came bundled with large, new HDDs?

Greetings from
Duracell

Sounds like the logic board of the drive.

Other than trying to obtain another non-functioning model (possibly dropped/physically shocked) in the hope of stripping a working logic board, I can't think of much else.

LTR12101B said:
Sounds like the logic board of the drive.

Other than trying to obtain another non-functioning model (possibly dropped/physically shocked) in the hope of stripping a working logic board, I can't think of much else.
Yes I´m talking about the circuit card in the HD, I just didn´t knew if it was possible to obtain this cards, guess the only option now is to hunt down a non-functioning drive like you sugest, thanks anyway for your replies.

On the bright side, if you need the data on the fried drive, you can at least swap the board, copy it off, and then trash it...

Just reading up, is that the 200Gb drive - OUCH - trashing one of those is an expensive accident - I suppose it MIGHT have been in warranty, but they'd probably be able to tell that the damage was traumatic!

It's poor design if it can't stand a reversed connector though, although it standards were properly followed, the connectors would have keyways so they could NOT be reversed (though I can remember having to fatigue-break the pin on a motherboard or I/O card, where they had NOT left the open key position, and the only cable available was keyed).

LTR12101B said:
Just reading up, is that the 200Gb drive - OUCH - trashing one of those is an expensive accident - I suppose it MIGHT have been in warranty, but they'd probably be able to tell that the damage was traumatic!

It's poor design if it can't stand a reversed connector though, although it standards were properly followed, the connectors would have keyways so they could NOT be reversed (though I can remember having to fatigue-break the pin on a motherboard or I/O card, where they had NOT left the open key position, and the only cable available was keyed).
Yes loosing a 200Gb drive is hard to take that´s why I´m looking for a card to get it back to function again. :(

What impressed me most is that the drive went off and that the Mobo is still working like nothing happened, the mistake ocurred thanks to a cable that doesn´t have keyed connectors, don´t know where that came from but now it´s gone to the garbage.

you can try warranty RMA like LTR told;

or you phone their service, providing them your result that the internal controller is dead but the drive itself is healthy; so they don't need looking for a failure and maybe you can deal special repair costs;
or even if you get the right person at the phone, might be you will get shipped that circuit card for the material price only;

If you knew that a smaller model used the same logic board, they MAY be transferable throughout the range - the firmware and parameters are normally stored in a reserved area on the disk - this is not certain though.

Looks like the only choices are:
1. Try to obtain (watch for/advertise for) another failed example, in the hope the logic board is good.
2. RMA it and hope, though my guess is that they'd be able to tell that it didn't die of it's own accord (though I'm not convinced that a reversed connector SHOULD be automatically fatal).
3. Fall on their mercy and hope they can provide a solution at a fair price.

Some people DO appreciate honesty!
I remember a case at my local Tandy (radio shack), where a friend had bought a voice activated variable speed tape recorder (real fancy and expensive) and a mains adapter, and blew it with the wrong voltage or polarity - asked me to look at it, but I was sure the chip would be fried... put aside thoughts of throwing it back under warranty, as I told him it would probably be obvious what had happend.

Asked what it would cost to repair, and related the sad tale, but they said they WOULD put it in as a warranty job, since they also sold the adapter that killed it, and because he admitted an honest mistake.