Datawrite DVD-R

callumuk

I have just bought some printable Datawrite DVD-R's with the printable surface that print right to the centre. After burning to these discs and running a nero cd speed disc quality test on them the results look horrendous. The thing is they seem to play ok in my standalone.

I previously used ritek g04's and the test results on them seem better but I have had problems with one or two freezing or skipping. These were the printables as well (but not to the centre)

I have also just run a test on an Emtec DVD-r disc (These were the first discs I used and gave nothing but problems) which is hardly watchable on my standalone because of skipping and freezing, but it gave a reasonable test result.

I seem to be having problems with almost every disc. I copy to hard drive first and then to dvd which I read somewhere was the best thing to do. I run the tests at max speed (is that right?) I have a new liteon 832s burner with the latest downloaded firmware. I need some advice please. Any one got any??????? Thanks

never been a lover of "tests" of media I use ritek g04/g05 & find them fine & the dvd plays months later as well.I reckon your Datawrite could be anything even B or C grade Ritek.

Go for A grade ritek if U can get em

Hmm, might also be CMC Magnetics and I've never been able to get a decent result with CMC -R media with my 832S.

I'd also be wary of Ritek -R media with your Litey too. Ritek +R works fine with Liteys but results with G04s and G05s are highly variable with my 832S (probably because there's no real way to know whether you're getting A, B or C grade stuff).

Either use +R with your Litey or use high quality -R. E.g. Taiyo Yuden (but beware of faked media codes) or Verbatim Data Life Plus.

If you want to try cheap -R, I've had good results with Gigastorage 8x -R (sold in my part of the world as MaxData) which burn fine at 4x with anything and well at 6x with dj (though hopeless at 8x).

callumuk

thanks for that. I have had good results with +r's on tests but thought they were not as compatable with standalones??

I have just tested another datawrite and got another terrible result. It always seems to be towards the end of the disc. Tested with nero cd speed it curves up very steeply at the end to a max PI of 1315 average of 246 and a max PIF of 176 average of 8. I'm getting extremely frustrated!!!

I've burned 5 datawrite and they all show these sort of results. I have given up watching them after the first two kept freezing in the middle of the film. I only went for these discs cos I thought datawrites wern't too bad and these are printables right to the centre. I was using G04 printables before but can't say I had 100% success with these either.

The only discs I have had perfect results with so far were Imation + r's but as I said above, are these compatable with standalones????? If so thats the way I will be going

callumuk said:
thanks for that. I have had good results with +r's on tests but thought they were not as compatable with standalones??
The only discs I have had perfect results with so far were Imation + r's but as I said above, are these compatable with standalones????? If so thats the way I will be going
Most modern stand-alones will happily play +R discs and most older ones will do so if the booktype is set to Dvd-Rom.

If your stand-alone plays +R media, either with our without setting the booktype, then I'd stick with +R unless you're prepared to pay the extra $$ for high class -R media.

What code is it - many programs will give you this.

One reference I have for Datawrite full face printable puts it as being SKC - that does NOT inspire confidence in its usability with a Liteon, though if that's right, I'll se if there's a codeswap for it that improves results.

It is true though, a good "quality scan" does not guarantee a well reading burn, nor is a poor quality scan a certain failure (within limits).

If you are attempting to judge usability in a DVD Player, at 1x, and that plays ok, but the scan peaks at the end, that could be a factor of the speed - to get what people regard as an accurate (at least for drive based testing) and comparable result, you should scan at 4x.

To evaluate possible results in a PC drive for data, it may be worth repeating the scan at maximum, or just taking a full speed transfer rate test - again, if it gets ratty toward the end, so long as it doesn't error, it may not be too bad.

The ideal is to see a good test at 4x, AND a clean transfer rate graph - preferably in a different drive.

callumuk

yes. the code is skc. I now have 10/10 coasters. I'm about to through them in the bin!!! I have just done some more tests on all of my +r discs and every one plays perfect and shows fantastic test results. I think the easiest way for me to go is to +r's but my concern is their compatability with other standalones.
Does anyone now where I can get good quality full face printable +r's from??

Thanks for every bodys help so far. I'm new to all this and it certainly helps!