Custom Guides

adam_n

We should have our own guides which all have a standard look & feel to them. That way when anyone on the planet wants to do something with digital video / audio, they'll know where to turn. And I'm all for guides which explain WHY your doing this and that rather than just saying "click this, set this value to 100, then click go."

In fact, I think I'll write some this week if I get the time.

[edit]I couldn't wait that long so I posted one already. It's short and to the point. If anything is unclear, or you have any comments, just reply to the guide and I'll patch it up where necessary.[/edit]

--Adam

Last edited:
Well,welcome to dvdrbase forum :)
Hope you gonna like it here :) at leat as much we do and that youll have some fun here too.
Browse around,check the serch engine too-really incredible wealth of informations....some posts are old even 3- 4 years.....
I saw your guide using a smart ripper and its nice and short-to the point..
We got some collection of guides allready and imho they are top of the line specially cm tuts-one using dvd2svcd with cce is my personal favorite :)
So you could check the things there and see which and what quality guides are there??So you might enhance some with some suggestion or make a new better one-SKY is the limit :)

Is'nt that a bit of an OXYMORON ?! IF...we ALL had our OWN guides then it would be pretty pointless putting them all together on the forum as YOU WOULD HAVE your OWN guide already would you not !? :confused: :)

adam_n

Hmm you have a point there. I guess that didn't quite come out right. I meant we (the community at dvdrbase.com) should have our own set of guides (seperate from other sites, such as doom9.net). But I think I actually came up with a better idea now. I'll try to be a little more concise this time, just for you viper_1069 :)

Wouldn't it be a lot more meaningful if those of us who understand enough about what we are doing whote guides on how to do one little thing with one little program. Then we just link to those guides?

For example, just about every guide going to DVD -> anything starts with ripping the files from the DVD to the hard drive. So we'd write one guide on how to do this (perhaps with multiple programs, so they can choose what they'd like to use). Then when we're writing a guide on how to go from DVD->AVI (XViD) we could just say something like this.

Rip the files to the hard drive (link to mini-guide)
Extract the audio (link to mini-guide)
Compress the audio (link to mini-guide)
Compress the video (link to mini-guide)
Mux the two streams back together (link to mini-guide)

I think this would make it easier to read. If you already know how to rip the VOB files, and extract/compress the audio, you can just skip straight to the video section. Plus it saves us the redundancy of putting the same things in every guide.

What do you think?

Last edited:

imuser1

Viper

VIPER_1069 said:
Is'nt that a bit of an OXYMORON ?! IF...we ALL had our OWN guides then it would be pretty pointless putting them all together on the forum as YOU WOULD HAVE your OWN guide already would you not !? :confused: :)
Hey its Thanksgiving and know it or not there is more than we know as citizens of the USA to be thankful for. Maybe today might be a good day to lighten up a bit. If you must crush someone, give just a bit of thought to the thieves that have already made off with our democratic Republic. If you think this is BS, write me when you become adult and we can discuss it.

@imuser1

1) THANKSGIVING is Irrelevant to me i live in the U.K.

2) I dont consider that as crushing someone i consider it as pointing the obvious out which was cleared up in the post above yours.

3) We are not here to discuss democracy or anything political etc please keep your grievances and annoyances to your own personal thoughts thanks.

4) please read the forum rules here with regards to point (3) thanks >

http://dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=5446 :)