Corp, Pro?

By looking at this board..i see people talking about Windows Corp... Whats Windows Corp? i dont see it at microsoft's website.. whats the differents betweent Corp and Pro?

Hi Daphuon2,

At first sight they are equal, and they are.

The Home Edition is the replacement for 9x and ME. The Proffesional Edition is the replacement for the 2k and NT. The Corporate version can be XP Home Edition or Professional Edition. Confusing? Well, not really, The Corporate Edition is used by Computer sellers. In other words, its used to install it on your PC when you buy the Computer, and that's why it can be one or the other. So the best to have, is the Professional edition with a Corporate Key.

There is another version, with another name, Windows.net. This is the "replacement" for the 2k Server's Editions. The real replacement will be Windows XP Server. This version is said to be still in primary betas. This one, is the one I want to put my hands on :D .

Cheers,

El_Matador

PS: I hope to have helped you and not confussed you.

El_Matador said:
The Corporate version can be XP Home Edition or Professional Edition. Confusing? Well, not really, The Corporate Edition is used by Computer sellers. In other words, its used to install it on your PC when you buy the Computer, and that's why it can be one or the other.
This is not true. Corporate XP is Pro.

You can make a hybrid Corporate Home Edition, but it looks like Pro because replacing the parts of Home Edition that deal with activation also replace the part which identifies the OS. And since there is NO XP Corp Home Edition, it's going to think it's Pro and say it's Pro.

Also, Corporate XP is not the version installed by computer sellers. It's the version which is used in large companies where they buy 1 disc and tens or hundreds of licenses to install the OS on multiple machines. Microsoft produced this version without activation because the trouble of activating 1000+ machines would put a lot of companies off upgrading. They never made a Home Edition of this for obvious reasons.

The version which computer retailers install is OEM. It has a slightly different activation scheme and Dell. HP etc OEM editions can only be installed on machines with a Dell or HP BIOS.

dx

Yes, Bilto is right on the money. An example of a company that would purchase a Corporate license (VLK), is Disney (the company that supposedly the Devilsown key belongs to). It is far easier for them to purchase this 1 license than to purchase thousands of individual licenses. And as Bilto pointed out they do not need to activate this key. XP Corp requires no activation.

Also the XP Home to Corp version does not work very well, because there are several important features left out of the Home version. When you try to upgrade, Windows expects those features to be present...and when it can't find it, it starts causing you problems.

Ok guys,

Maybe, I didn't express my self. The Corporate Edition is one of the two: it is the Home Edition OR the Professional edition. Just tell me the difference between a guy that sells 100 computers a month (1200 license in a year. Take 100 of this sellers (10000 computers a month, 120000 license in a year) and the one of your example. As you said it is used to prevent the online registration. When you buy the computer and you ask for the Home Edition they just put in a CD-key in the Corporate and you get your Home Edition Installed without any activation needed (the CD-key tells the installer that). The same Goes to the the Professional edition (off course the key is another one). Take the Home and Profesional CD's and merge them (Professional above Home) and compare it to the Corporate and you will see that it is the same thing. The CD-key tells the Installer what to do.

If I'm mistaken on some things, just correct me, but IMHO i'm not.

Cheers,

El_Matador

El_Matador said:
If I'm mistaken on some things, just correct me, but IMHO i'm not.
I'm sorry but you're quite wrong.

You are talking about the OEM release which has a slightly different activation scheme from the retail one. It does NOT use Corporate (Volume Licensing) keys, it won't accept them because it's not a volume license version.

Corporate XP is the Pro edition only, you cannot get a Corporate Home edition. Although, as I mentioned before, you can create a hybrid Corp/Home but that's a completely unofficial/confused OS.

BTW, the MSDN release of XP also uses corp keys and requires no activation. That is the only legitimate way obtain a single legal license for XP without activation. I'm quite sure it's very expensive too!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

My excuses for the wrong information. I saw this some time ago on an article, but now I can't find it, what induces me to believe that it was a wrong information :( .

Cheers,

El_Matador

dx

El_Matador said:
My excuses for the wrong information. I saw this some time ago on an article, but now I can't find it, what induces me to believe that it was a wrong information :( .
Bilto's info is correct (once again ;) ).

It's O.K. El_Matador, everyone is entitled to be wrong once in a while. At least you owned up to it.

Hi Dxkim,

I don't like people who are arrogant and more even when they are wrong. I always tried to be realistic and when I'm wrong I admit it. Every they everyone learns something new, so what is wrong can be corrected and sometimes vice verse.

Cheers,

El_Matador

dx

joripe said:
RW
A pity more on the board dont have it
Exactly my point guys. There have been some arrogant people and posts on this forum. El_Matador did the magnanimous thing in admitting that he was wrong and I wanted to commend him for it. :)

As joripe says, pity there is not more of this attitude here.