copying protected VHS to DVD-R/-RW

bacchususa

I have just bought a DVD-R/-RW for about $400. I love it, it does everything i am looking to do as far as converting videotapes into DVD and play them on my laptop.
However, I am running into a challenge. Some of the VHS tapes are protected which causes the DVD-R system to stop and display a warning on the TV screen saying that it cannot be recorded since the VHS is protected.
Anyone has an idea to overcome this? or does anyone know of a seperate device used to unprotect the VHS? could I copy the VHS into another VHS and then try to burn the 2nd copy into a DVD?

Thanks

The only copy protection on a VHS tape that I'm aware of is Macrovision. For this you can get a black box Video Stabilizer unit that fits between your VCR and Recorder. You can try taping to another tape, but the recorder tends to jst record the Macrovision protection also and your gained nothing. Some have sucess by playing to your TV and recording from the Video/Audio OUT from the TV, it it has these connections.

Since VHS tapes are all analog you can use your PC's AV-in with no quality (sorry...) loss. Good quality (= expensive) analog interconnects are required, else the GOGI (garbage out- garbage in) effect will be magnified.

Last edited:

bacchususa

thanks guys

thank you guys for the wonderful tips. i knew i wouldn't get disappointed becoming a member. thanx a million

Andrew