cooling fan problems

recently a friend of mine bought a new case for his computer and moved evrything into the new case... when he booted up neither the cpu fan nor the case fan would work.... he still has power to the cd rom, the disk drive and the hdd but even switching back to the old power supply neither fan will work...any ideas??

Not much details to work on..

Did you take static precautions..? rough move or careful move from one case to the other..? ;)

Does not sound good, is the pc functional, as in, does it boot?

I think maybe static damage, hard to tell with such scant details.

Is the PSU in the new case the same and/or more powerful than the old one.. ?

>>X<<

the new power supply is 350 watt and the old one was 250, i was leaning towards a static problem but yes the computer does boot...jus the fans wont run so i was wondering if just the fan circuit was fried. . thats about all the details i can give u i havent seen the computer( my friend lives in a diffrent country than i do) but i do know the only precaution he took was touching something metal first

Last edited:
ok

Sounds like fans conneced TO the MB. I think I had jumpers for that on the old MB buit did not use MBfor case fans. Then again this one has connections for CPU/card fans. I ignored extra fan stuff on MB.

I have my CASE fans DIRECT to PS connectors and running all the time.

My guess CPU fan went bonkers by any little thing. LOOSEN it and pry away from fins/chip. Can even be that TINY MB jumper CONNECTOR for CPU fan loose.

Last edited:
i suppose you tried a fan that you know it works on the header, right? oh well is always better to power the fans to the PS anyway, but you don't get to monitor it. did you try all 3 headers? i don't see how you can burn out the header by swithing the power supply.

It was actually my system that Johnny is talking about. Hello everyone, new to the boards.

To give you some better info, I had the CPU fan connected to the MB, and an extra case fan connected to the MB via the F-fan connection. During my trial and error, I moved the case fan to another connection on the MB labled CaseFan and I still had no power to it. Lacking a meter I was given an idea to connect the fans to a 9V battery and test to see if the fans actually did work. Both did, and with that info, I'm pretty sure I fried something on the MB. I now have the Processor fan conntected directly to the PS and after booting up and testing a few things, I seem to be fine. Not sure I like the idea of not having any indication of a overtemp fault anymore, but at least it wasn't an expensive mistake on my part.

Good to be here. Looks like a great site.
Thanks

Are they 3 pin fan connectors, and are there any polarity keys?

Was the CPU fan actually disconnected initially, as if not, then misconnection can be ruled out.

One thought - and you got off lucky if it was this!

You may have scraped a track on the motherboard - or possibly shorted one by placing a metal fixing where there's no correspnding position on the motherboard.

Last edited:
They are 3 pin connectors, and as far as I know, one of the wires was supposed to control rotation direction. Not sure on that.

When I moved the MB over, I left the CPU fan connected so it wasn't a misconnection.

I did wonder...
Sounds like my edit above may be it - a scrape or short!

I preferred the old AT-style case fittings - the quality of fittings with most cases thes days is dismal! - the screws in some of them don't bite, or the fittings don't stay in the panel, and you either run out of fittings, or run out of usable holes that match both case and motherboard!

Last edited:
there is a way you can monitor it you'll have to find another 3pin connector(female). you can connect the outer two wires from the fan black(ground) and the yellow(monitor) wires and then plug back into the mobo.

Now it's funny you just mentioned that. While I was first installing the MB, I had one riser in a location that it shouldn't have been. I hadn't connected anything yet, and I was able to remove it before doing any damage that way.

However, I did notice on the bottom of the board a few small scratches. I had asked someone else about it, and was told it shouldn't hurt it. I'm guessing now that it was probably what happened.

It's only the second time I've fooled with with a MB and I guess I became a little clumsy. Lesson learned. Be careful :)

Welcome MapleBud!

MapleBud said:
I now have the Processor fan conntected directly to the PS and after booting up and testing a few things, I seem to be fine. Not sure I like the idea of not having any indication of a overtemp fault anymore, but at least it wasn't an expensive mistake on my part.
you can buy an externally temperature and fan speed monitoring modul; ask your local PC dealer;

but you had luck again, my ASUS MB won't boot if the monitoring signal of the CPU fan notify less then 2000 rpm;
it's a default BIOS setting, no booting => no access to the BIOS setup;

Greetings from
Duracell

I'm not sure I understand what your getting at party. As of now, my black wire from the fan is connected to the ground from the PS and the red wire from the fan is connected to the yellow (12V) from the PS. I also don't see how it will continue to work if it's the connections on the MB that I hurt.

Duracell, my board is also ASUS. However I think I initially left the BIOS settings alone and I didn't have any problems booting up even with the fan not running. The idea of an external monitoring device sounds like an idea, thanks.

there should be 3 wire from your fan black, red and yellow. the black is gound of course red is +12v and the yellow is monitor. unless you only have two wires from your fan, then you can't monitor it even if you want to.

Ok, yes I do have the 3 wires you speak of. The black and red wires are connected to the 12V and ground from the PS, using the spare connection from my HDD. I'm trying not to sound like an idiot here, but are you looking for me to connect the yellow and black from the fan back into the motherboard? If so, then does that require me to make a splice on the black wire so that I have it running to two different places? As well if there is something wrong with the MB fan connections is this even worthwhile?

Hate asking so many questions, but I'm not going to fool with this again until I'm sure.

get a 3pin female connector from another fan or something. splice the outer two wires black and yellow from the fan and then plug back into the mobo.

ASUS

Sounds like back scratched or MB screws screwy.

Go in and check BIOS setting if FAN disabled. I think monitoring sofware cannot shut fan off.

READ MB manual about any settings! I am so confused now as 16/32 bit setups.

I alway scheckthe CHEAPEST ways first = no replacement if I find a fault. Usually MY fault.