compiling kernel & booting

hi ppl ,need some help on this
err since my 2 hdd 's fat table got busted again 4 a 3rd time this yr:p,i cleaned everything & installed RH9..i compiled my kernel,2.4.28 successfully,but i'm stuck @ booting the new kernel...i have lilo as boot manager,but have some probs..
i've created a bzImage ,copied it 2 /boot & modified lilo.conf as necessary,but i'm stuck with initrd...i dunno how 2 create an image 4 it(kind of)
following the instructions from the kernel docs on initrd,it mentions a /linuxrc needed 4,which i can't find
anyone can help?scarecrow,nb?

sounds like i managed 2 do it whie waitin 4 an answer here lol :D
i'm currently running my RH9 with my new kernel 2.4.22(a bit old i know) on FB0.7+.now i need 2 get hold of the latest kernel ;)
i'm later post how i did when i'll have time ;)

Seb

stop messin with RH9
Try knoppix :D
guaranteed to solve all ur head aches
including the head below :D :D :D :eek:

Last edited:
then provide me with 1 :D:D
prefer RH since it got less apps broken by default
i can now enjoy a 4 point surround with my snd card which i didn't manage 2 do,now i need 2 have a well configured sound mixer
got the latest k3b 2,successfully compiled ,need 2 play with it now,apart zat naggin msg sayin atapi ain't supported,enable scsi emulation while it's already enabled

Seb

Well if u can w8
I think i'll get a copy of knoppix in a week or 2
The only distro that gave me 4 pt surround with my sb sound card was the suse u gave me

b4 mdk & suse,now i managed 2 enabled it from kernel without alsa,though i need 2 install alsa & a convenient mixer...my pcm vol doesn't seem 2 be workin,only main volume

Knoppix is nice, but the real thing behind it (Debian Sarge) is much better of course for a non-live system. Debian might be the choice of all Linux power users for pretty obvious reasons (tons of applications, completely free code, apt installer system sends RPM to his mom crying...) but surely enough it's NOT a distro for non-experienced Linux users... If you decide to live with Debian you JUST know one thing or two about linux commands and console, which is not a real necessity for SuSE, Mandrake and EVEN Redhat users...

yeah ;) now wat is buggin me is that it can't shutdown by itself(v2.4.22)...any idea of wat 2 enable/disable in kernel? power mgt support is enabled,even tried apm ,still no luck...should i try acpi(still experimental?)

ACPI is necessary to shutdown properly... and are you sure it's experimental on RedHat 9? Try to shutdown without using the desktop shortcuts: open a console window, first as root and then if it works as common user, and type in "halt" (without the quotes, of course. Watch closely the messages popping up, one of them might explain what the problem is.

i used the command halt lately & it doesn't shut down well...the last lines says something like flushing hda hdb... & next line system halted ,& i need to press power button to switch it off,just like the old days of win95,98 :D
concerning acpi ,it's from the xconfig of the new kernel 2.4.22 if i remember well,need 2 check...
currently i mostly logged as root

o well ,i messed up with the kernel configs,reset,now it seems to shut down...if i enable acpi with apm,my kernel won't boot :confused:
now the kernel is complainin ipv4 chains failed 2 load,burner now ain't detected lol....seems i'm playin 2 much with the kernel :D:D