choppy conversion results from xvid

hi,
the last few movies that ive done on dvd are xvid movies and they always seem to be very choppy, as if the frames rate is wrong.
i made sure i converted the xvid to the correct one, etc: pal or ntsc.
on viewing the xvid on the pc, it seemed to be choppy before i converted it thru tmpeg.
are these comming out choppy because maybe the xvid was alredy made that way.
any help or info would help a great deal, this problem is drivin me nuts.
please help.

thanks
chris m

changing the framerate from pal to ntsc or ntsc to pal can cause headaches and jumpy pictures if done incorrectly not using pulldown :(

im sure one of our guides or even one of our GURUS can go into this in more depth :)

trojan62 said:
hi,
the last few movies that ive done on dvd are xvid movies and they always seem to be very choppy, as if the frames rate is wrong.
i made sure i converted the xvid to the correct one, etc: pal or ntsc.
on viewing the xvid on the pc, it seemed to be choppy before i converted it thru tmpeg.
any help or info would help a great deal, this problem is drivin me nuts.
please help.

thanks
chris m
What software app are you playing the film through?

Xvid is the best codec rated by most skilled people like on doom9/
I have downloaded-made lots of movies in that format and didnt have a problem playing it on my pc or when i converted them to svcd using dvd2svcd..As a player i use mpc.So;
Be syre you got a good pc player-i more then recomend media player-cllassic.
Its free,small-1mb and its just 1exe :)
For converting-i converted more then 60-70 avis-divx and xvid to supervcd using dvd2svcd as a gui and cce2.50 as mpeg2 encoder and theu all come out perfect,so check the cm tutorial ina video sewction and youre ready to go :) ..
and for last-do not use codec packs,ffdhow(he had a history of xvid poblems)and things like that..Install just codecs you need..like divx from original site-latest version and xvid1.02 from koepi site :)
additionally if you cannot find your way around dvd2svcd you could try tfm too-specially as it locally supported here :)

cakeman

I too am experiencing the same problems with certain AVI's. It isn't the player and I'm sure my codecs are ok (I think!!). One thing I have noticed is that they play perfect in VirtualDub. Now I don't have a clue how to use VirtualDub and have never used before in my life but before posting this I thought I would have a go and see if I could sort it myself. I opened all the AVI's I had probs with and everyone of them plays perfect so, can VirtualDub fix these files and if so how would I (and trojan!) go about it.

Well VirtualDub uses a VFW decoder, which due to the way VFW works, if XviD is installed then it will be used to decode, unless you enabled XVID ffdshows VFW decoder. dshow on the other hand as used by media players works on a priority system and there are numerous decoders other than XviD that can handle the XVID fourCC, so make sure that XviD is acually being used to decode.

You might also want to check files with mplayer or VLC as they don't rely on installed codecs.

TMPGEnc also uses a VFW decoder by default so if the file is fine in VDub then it should be fine in TMPGEnc. Could also use AVISynth or VDub to frameserve.

cakeman

Cheers Celtic.
I'm still quite new to all this so I didn't understand everything you were saying. How do I check if XviD is being used to decode? Is there a way of installing a VFW decoder so that all players use it?

You don't want a dshow based player using the VFW decoder, it has to use a wrapper and it slows things down, plus you don't get the brightness control, auto ar, post processing, etc. Also it would still be bound by the prioity system and might not get used anyway.

Any decent player will give you access to the filters being used. Windows Media player after v6.4 doesn't. Rendering the file in graphedit or GSpot should also work.

Basically with dshow the filter that is capable of connecting with the highest priority is used. So in the case of XviD, that could be DivX, 3ivX, ffdshow, Nero Digital, etc. With VFW, it checks if there is a specific codec for the fourCC, which it would find VIDC.XVID "xvidvfw.dll" and use XviD, if it doesn't find an entry then it will try all installed codecs untill it finds one. So if XviD is installed it will basically always be used.

Using AVISynth with avisource() will force VFW decoding, plus it resizes faster than TMGPEnc.

Many players also have the option to force filters/increase/decrease prioritys, etc. or there are filter managers like radlight's that can do it.

Also make sure that you have a current version of XviD installed, no point going through all of this just to say get it working with a 2 year old build of XviD.

Just follow my Tutorial on DivX to DVDR using CCE as the encoder and not TMPGEnc. If the origianl AVI is choppy expect choppy output, if it is not, then it will not. Remember the old saying - "Garbage in, garbage out".

Make sure you have the very latest Xvid Codec installed, being v1.0.2 from http://www.koepi.org/ . If you dont, then uninstall what ever you have first before installing.

cakeman

Cheers CM
I've got the latest XviD codec and always use DVD2SVCD with CCE 2.50 to encode. The original AVI is choppy and you're right, it's choppy when encoded. The AVI plays choppy in WMP, RP or any other MP but plays ok in VirtualDub. I've tried TMPGEnc as Celtic said to encode and it works fine but obviously takes a hell of a lot longer. Is there any other way round it so I can use CCE?

I have selected for deinterlace option in D2S of Telecine. Or in CCE Advanced Ops, turn all MPEG2 Video Settings off except DVD Compliance. Both are worth a try (but not together).