Chickenman Question

Hi to all,

Is it possible to create one large Mpeg2/Svcd file so i can split it at any point i like, just like in the dvd2avi-TMPGEnc method with vcd ? I'm using DVD2SVCD to create SVCD and realy like the results but would like to split it myself, is this possible and if, how ?
Thanx................

at bitrate choose 1 cd and put the size as 1600meg.
This will give u one big mpeg file (if u choose not to make bin cue).
If u are not cutting it in the exact middle, u will have to choose a smaller file size or it will not fit on 2 800meg cdrs.

Thanx Daveml,

What program can i use to split the mpeg2-file ?
For vcd i use TMPGEnc, if i try it with mpeg2 TMPGEnc crashes.
Am i doing something wrong with TMPGEnc or should i use another program for this ??

Pulse.

I use tmpgenc. with no probs.
Although i normally just let dvd2svcd cut the film.
If u leave say 10 seconds of overlap its not normally a problem.

Pulse, in TMPGenc when you load the mpg2 dont forget to select mpg2 stream from the top drop down box, maybe this is why it crashes?

Pulse, the problem or feature of DVD2SVCD is that it adjusts the bitrate of the SVCD to exactly fill up the 2 CD's (most fit to 2 80min CD's) so unless you cut it exactly in the middle it would not fit to 2 CD's. VCD's have lots of room lect on a CD (a 90min movie as VCD would put 2x 450meg files on 2 CD's if cut in the middle leaving 800-450=350meg or 35min free space.)

DVD2SVCD uses bbMPEG to mux and cut at the same time, so check in the folder where all the files went and you will see a long Encoded_Video_CCE.mpv file (the Video) and an Encoded_Audio_1.mp2 (the Audio) file. You can use TMPGEnc to mux these together and then use its Merg&Cut section to cut it at where ever you like or use bbMPEG to mux and cut where ever you like. Even MPEG2VCR can do all that as well.

Thanx Chickenman,

I'll try that, i realy like the results that DVD2SVCD produces but what i don't like is that it cuts the movie exactly in the middle.
In lots of cases it cuts in the middle of an action-scene and i find that realy annoying.
So what i would like to do is create one large mpeg2 that would normaly fit on 3 cd's (let's say about 2 gyg) and split that file in three parts. Hope you understand what i mean.
Sorry for the bad english.......
Thanx again,

Pulse.

Yep, I undersatnd what your trying to do. Another suggestion is to increase the 2 sec overlap (default) to say 5 or 10 sec overlap. You dont miss any action then and get a good intro of the end of D1 as your start playing D2.

Personly, I apply no overlap so that if I ever want them on a DVD (they are getting cheaper every day), I can join them easily & without any hassles.

Yes, that's a good idea too.
By the way, do you know if there is a prog that can copy complete dvd's ? (unless they are bigger than 4,7 gyg)
I hope there will be bigger dvd-r's soon, then the whole issue of converting to svcd is over.
Thanx for the reply......

Pulse.

Have a read in the DVD Burning section, but I find DVD2SVCD so easy to down-size a dual-layer >4.7gig DVD, then author with SpruceUp and burn with Nero.

I dont have a DVD burner myself (well not yet!) but have been making a few from those excellent 2x700meg AVI's with AC3 you can download. Expect a Tutorial for that sometime in the future.