CD backup program in linux?

Hi,

After switching to linux (tanx scarecrow for Arch suggestion, using it since about year and its great!) I'm using cedega for running windows game in linux, with good and bad results...

Anyway, I'd like to make backups of my games. In windows Alcohol 120% was doing a good job, but I can't find a good alternative in linux. I've tryed k3b but it seems that it can't handle the copy protection...

Is there anything that can be done?

Also, is there a way to mount mdf/mds images in linux, without converting to isos?

Thank you.

K3B can only handle safedisk variations (not all), and that is that.
No, I do not know any way mounting mdf/mds, factly even for ISO's you must mount them at the physical mountpoint (e.g. /mnt/dvd) else Cedega/wine will not understand it has to be treated as a CD/DVD.
Alcohol plays fine under Linux, but not in wine/Cedega/qemu. You will need a friend of you who has the VMware fullversion creating for you a win2000 virtual machine (using your own CD/serial, of course! :D ) and then use the free VMWare Player to open it. All CDR and DVDR programs work great under VMware 5.5.
I guess that nothing came out for Linux because now DVD's, even for games, is the trend.
VMware 5.5 works great under Arch- actually there's an UI glitch, which sums up to some delay starting up, but this is not an Arch, but a libart (a gtk element) bug, probably to be addressed soon.

Thanx scarecrow,

I've tryed vmware (winxp) and alcohol. The game has safedisk 2.9, so it was really slow to make an image.. So I've tryed something else.

I was able to make an image using cdrdao with:
cdrdao read-cd --device ATA:1,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw -v 2 --datafile CD1.bin --read-raw CD1.toc

Then bin2iso made an iso of it. I've mounted it to /mnt/cdrom and was able to start the installation via cedega. But when it ask for CD 2, it didn't recognize the unmount/mount CD1 to /mnt/cdrom... I'll try to burn cds this weekend.

Thanx!

bin2iso kills the "bad sectors" information, inherent in safedisk- so you must be glad that CD 1 alone loaded fine...
Add to that the fact: my record with XP under VMWare isn't stellar, either- I also have slow performance (not terribly slow, but rather dissapointing for a SMP P4 2.8/1gig machine- actually you may get better performance by using a non-SMP kernel). But Win2000 operates at almost native speed, and with "just" one blue screen every ten days, which is more or less what happens under a physical win2000 installation! :D

scarecrow said:
bin2iso kills the "bad sectors" information, inherent in safedisk- so you must be glad that CD 1 alone loaded fine...
That's what I tough...

scarecrow said:
you may get better performance by using a non-SMP kernel
I already do...

scarecrow said:
But Win2000 operates at almost native speed, and with "just" one blue screen every ten days, which is more or less what happens under a physical win2000 installation! :D
hehe. I don't have a win2k disk. If it really doesn't work, I'll get my win2k cd back from my brother.

Thanx

Oh yes, it DOES work great. The only issue is a slow startup, which is a GTK 2.8.8+ issue, not resolved by VMWare team yet... in a few Linux distros VMWare does not start at all, under Arch it does start, but initialization takes some one minute or so (spitting out error messages which are typical of the Gnome libart library, but it seems libart is not the guilty one in that case...).
I guess I can live with it, since no remedy for that GTK2 bug is known up to now (only starting VMware invoking its own built-in GTK, but this is rather ugly, as well as slow, performance-wise).

Last edited: