capturing via BT878 works only after reboot

board: A78NX Deluxe (nForce2 Ultra 400)
TV card: Terratec TerraTV+ (BT878)
WDM drivers are up to date

capturing/watching TV works only when i use the device a few minutes after rebooting; then i can caputure/watch for ages without a problem;
if i start the software later (~ >10min) i get a frozen pic only; doesn't matter what software i'm using (Terratec's CinergyTV, PowerVCR, MoreTV), it's always the same;

my PC is a dual boot system (W2k for Office/Net, XP for gaming); this problem never happen in XP; there i can play Doom for hours and watch TV immediately after exiting games; :rolleyes:

Greetings from
Duracell

Try changing the PCI slot, it could be something to do with interrupt handling, and while PCI should share interrupts harmoniously, the practice is often not the same as the theory - and it can vary with OS.

Does it have the latest DirectX version ? - anything else different between the 2K and the XP?

LTR12101B said:
Try changing the PCI slot, it could be something to do with interrupt handling, and while PCI should share interrupts harmoniously, the practice is often not the same as the theory - and it can vary with OS.
i know about the sharing theory; had considered the IRQ routing table while setting up my new machine in january; the result was placing the TV card into slot 4 which shares "only" with the USB host controller; :rolleyes: unfortunately there is no slot with an exclusive INT link; all slots are in use and all other than PCI4 share their IRQs with more problematic devices (SATA, AGP or between themself); anyway thanks for bringing that fact in attention, mate; :)

edit: forgot to say it doesn't make a difference if i disable USB;

Does it have the latest DirectX version ? - anything else different between the 2K and the XP?
DX is different, 9.0b in XP, 8.1 in W2k;
i won't mess up my sound card and WaveLab with 9.0b; Do you think it would be safe?

I've thrown 9.0c at my old Win98SE, never noticed any problem particularly attributable to DirectX - of all the MS updates, I'd rate it as the least problematic.

YMMV!

And the only way back, if you're lucky, is with odd tools that claim to remove what MS say is a one way update.

For specific progreams, a check on the support site may be worthwhile.

PS. Sounds like my motherboard assignment - BLAST!, how many times have I written down the sharing rules for it and lost them - 1 shares with AGP, 1 with USB, 2 share with each other, and ONE out of the 5, IS SOLO! - if you have oimboard sound, it probably shares with that.

Sounds like its as stuffes with cards as mine ... Nodem, Network, Sound, SCSI, plus AGP video - I've only got 1 PCI left (and 2 ISA).

I presume there's no APIC mode to put the PCI IRQs above 15, and individual, I believe - I did wonder if it might be a case of APIC support in XP but not in 2K.

PS. Just tripped over this http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/
Might be worth trying an alternative driver, and the fact that this exists, suggests the card makers drivers may not be too great.

LTR12101B said:
I've thrown 9.0c at my old Win98SE ... Just tripped over this http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ Might be worth trying an alternative driver
i don't trust the removal tools really; will backup a fresh image instead, then trying latest DX; if it doesn't help, then trying alternative drivers; if it doesn't help, using the image to bring my system back as it was; :D
there should be some spare time this week for doing this; will report when done;

For specific progreams, a check on the support site may be worthwhile.
Steinberg's support isn't the same anymore since Pinnacle seized them; :(

Sounds like its as stuffes with cards as mine ...
AGP VGA, ISDN, TV card, 2 Terratec sound cards;
slot #3 leftover, but this one shares with SATA; a "no-no" in my eys;

I presume there's no APIC mode ...
for my board APIC is not recommended by ASUS; both OS installed in "Standard-PC" mode, because i want to be able to assign resources manually; also is "Standard-PC" what Steinberg suggests for WaveLab;

Duracell said:
will report when done;
DX 9.0c => still no go

SourceForge driver =>
- automatic card detection: black capture screen, although my card is listed as supported;
- manuall card selection, tried all tuner models: no real receipt, looks like interferences only; 4 complete system freezes;

conclusion => back to my yesterday Ghost image; :D
so rather i will live with the needed reboot;