Can you help?

I love playing Max Payne, however I revently upgraded my Geforce2 MX400 to a AsusV8420 (nVidia Chipset i4200)

Now the game loads but returns to the desktop whenever I try to play a game (new or old) or the tutorial.

All the demo's work although Unreal Gold can be a bit quirky. All are on default settings.

I have tried the 40.71 drivers and the ASUS ones and both give the same result....

I have plenty of Ram 750+ and and Athlon 2100+ with 4fans keeping it cool @ 25degrees.

Any ideas?

Thanks, you could make a very happy man!!!!

Oh yes... and the game is legit!!

I had an exact problem to fix it I change the thing at the start up of the game to 16x etc... (I think theres only one 16x)

Mmm...

No joy,

Do you remember what drivers you were using?

I have what I think are the latest VIA chipset as well although I may try their beta ones!

As I say though everything seems to work fine and the update for MP does nothing either....

Boo... hoooo..

Thnks for your time though...;)

you might want to try the 30.82 dets...whenever i run into probs with my gf4 t14600 and new dets, i always revert back to the 30.82's because they have always been the most stable for me...

Might just try that.....

The newest ASUS one are knackered and only run in 4bit!

I have tried the 40.71 from nVidia but I will try some of the older ones just to see the results.

Thanks....

Fixed it....

It seems that for some reason when I set 'Material Variations' above 'Medium' the game goes to desktop. All other settings can be left at the max level....

Why, I don't know!