Can the pads on Athlons be replaced?

After a recent regreasing of my CPU, I have ended up losing one of the round pads on my CPU. Is there any way of replacing these or will a Shim be ok?

you can replace it with furniture cushioning... (the padded stuff you use to wedge between e.g. glass or polished surfaces so they don't scratch...) that '3M' stuff is quite good... but the goods should still work, just re-align the pads to evenly distribut the force of the sink... :D

confusion

Pads just to keep from cracking the CPU w/heatsink (FUN putting them on the AthlonXP). I would use HIGH temp proof material replacement, not felt/rubber etc. Maybe leather?

The shim is confusing. One place says USE it, other says it is not for the XP PERIOD. I took it of fthe 2000+ w/new heatsink and it is cooler. Hehehe. WHY the heatsink!

One website sells them (shims) and has a graph and with and without is the SAME temps. and says it is beneficial. ??????

I have a lucy voodoo charm you can put in the case to chase away bugs.

You GOTTA know what you are doing QUITE WELL. Be SURE to get at least ONE GREAT answer but a FEW is better.

Re: confusion

Right on !

well i've customed to suit my Athlon1300, removed all shims and it's still good with cust. shims (hollow square cut) and it's all good... but ChiMusic is right...

ChiMusic said:
You GOTTA know what you are doing QUITE WELL. Be SURE to get at least ONE GREAT answer but a FEW is better. [/B]

MAKE MY DAY!

Something positive makes my day! I have all my new parts ready to install but also ready to toss computer. Big story on parts. FedEx lost next day shipment half way across country! BUT to be an AthlonXP 2400 with 333 mem and MB. I still have NO use for the computer. Same influence as all my old booze broads! I just wind up falling for SOMETHING.