Can anyone suggest a good athlon64 mobo?

I'm working on building a new system for my broo who's going out to uni in sept. I'm trying to set the system so he can play his music on it, do photoshopping and other art stuff and a little gaming, as well as a TV tuner and posibly vid capture wo he can convert his vcr tapes (a few less items to bring)

And the budget isn't too high either.

I'm thinking about an Athlon64 system as they seem to be cheaper than P4. can anybody recommend a good mobo (or suggest a better CPU)

Plus I'm a little concerned about good quality power supplies as I have had a little trouble with underpowering in the past.

What socket do you want?754 or 959?
Serial ATA 2 support?SLI support? AGP AND PCI-Express support?Or just PCI-E?Or AGP only?

As you see,we need more details...... :rolleyes: ;)

I think skt939, and a little bit of future proofing. PCI-E seems to be the big thing so that will be a must, as for SATA2, a sata2 drive would probably be an upgrade when prices fall.

I'm thinking about the K8N Neo4, Athlon64 3000+ (venice), Akasa AK913 cooling

I just made a system for a m8, got him the Gig K8NPXP-9 with Athlon64 3200 Venice core. The m/b has PCI-E, dual giga lan (1 on a PCI-E bus :) ), SATA2, new Fireware 1394B and 8ch Audio. Absolutley fantastic and stable as a rock :)

One golden rule - unless you make extreme demands on the sound, or really need to save a few percent of CPU, most of the current onboards are quite good enough.

As soon as you say even "a little" gaming, you've probably ruled out onboard graphics, though the Radeon Express, with X300-class performance, would be in the same league as the cheapest current cards, and would probably play older games adequately.

I think I'm going to rule out SLI, as there is no way that my brother will spend a large sum of money on 2 powerfull graphics cards, even I can't justify that kind of expense.

Laz

malcontent said:
I think I'm going to rule out SLI, as there is no way that my brother will spend a large sum of money on 2 powerfull graphics cards, even I can't justify that kind of expense.
Yeah that's a good point you make that I'd not fully taken into a/c with that particular board. :D

One down side of it I guess.

Read a review of the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, got a good review (90%), not suprising. I may go with that board as I use an Asus P4C800-Deluxe in my Northwood system, best board I've ever used