Burning Porblem: Buffer Underrun

glide

Hello Everyone.

Hope that everyone is well.

When I am burning some songs with Nero or Musicmatch Jukebox, I am always getting a buffer under-run on my CD's. My set-up:

Shuttle MN31N mobo
Athlon xp2500+
512 memory

IDE1 - Master : WD 120 gig HDD
IDE1 - Slave : WD 80 gig HDD
IDE2 - Master : CDRW (Plexy)
IDE2 - Slave : DVD-Rom drive (pioneer)

I have also installed ForceASPI, disabled IMAPI CD Burning, unchecked the "Enable CD recording on this drive" for the drive.

I also tried to defrag, stop ZoneAlarm and Norton Antivirus, but still no success!

Am I missing something here?

The only thing I can think of is that I have a NVIDIA IDE controller installed and can't set the DMA (although it was set to DMA prior to installing the NVIDIA IDE controller).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--Glide

The Nforce busmaster driver could well be the reason. Try to update to the latest nforce release, or remove it completely and use the Windows default driver.

Does the drive have any underrun recovery capability - BurnProof etc.?

You want to avoid continually running into burnproof, but it can save a burn, and the rate of buffer fill and empty can give some clues.

Scarecrow's probably hit the nail on the head - latest drivers (there's some new ones), remixed drivers, or just let it use the Windows drivers for the IDE - that's the bit Nvidia just can't seem to get right!

Putting an IDE card in for the writer might be another possibility, but many of them have even worse issues with optical drives, especially writers, than the Nforce ones do!

glide

Thanks for all the help.

I'll try to change the NVIDIA IDE driver and let you know.

Thanks again.

--Glide

glide

Hello Everyone,

Just an update. I uninstalled the NVIDIA IDE driver and used the windows default driver with SUCCESS.

Thanks again for all your help.

--Glide