Burning .bin or .iso files

paulm

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded a couple of files on e-donkey, one file was
650mb and its extension was .rar, it isn't. I tried changing it to .bin and then
to .iso but all I get when I burn the file is 'empty' discs. Another file was 125mb and its extension was .iso but again when I burn it, using Nero or Alcohol 120% is empty cd's (lots of them). This is driving me crazy, am I
doing something stupid? (probably!).
Any help would be gratefully accepted. :confused:

paulm said:
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded a couple of files on e-donkey, one file was
650mb and its extension was .rar, it isn't. I tried changing it to .bin and then
to .iso but all I get when I burn the file is 'empty' discs. Another file was 125mb and its extension was .iso but again when I burn it, using Nero or Alcohol 120% is empty cd's (lots of them). This is driving me crazy, am I
doing something stupid? (probably!).
Any help would be gratefully accepted. :confused:
You may want to use a virtual drive program so you can test them first. I use the one in Alcohol 120%. Good luck.

Hi :)

Have U tried renaming the file to.rar & opening the rar file in WinRar?

Maybe there is another file inside the archive

I use UltraISO to burn & open ISO files although Nero can burn them as well, to burn them in Nero click the open file button & in the drop down filetype list choose ISO then browse to where u have the file saved, most of the time U dont have to change any Nero settings to burn them apart from maybe lowering the speed of the burn.

BaNzI :D

First of all, try to open that file with good text editor (not sure if Notepad is capable) and look for extension. I use UltraEdit for that.

Attachments

Treading a fine line, so do not name it, as we could no longer give the benefit of the doubt.

If you have a RAR, make sure you're not using some program with "old as the hills" RAR support, as it WILL fail with modern RAR versions.

A bad/corrupted file is also possible - accidental or deliberate.

This is also a good reason to use RW media for testing!