burnign to dvd-R but can't find burnt data

lewismale

burning to dvd-R but can't find burnt data

hi there

my problem hopefully is a simple one. i have a dual layer dvd burner and from what i've been told it will burn both dvd + and -, R and RW.
ok got some video footage of family holiday and i wish to put it on a couple of dvd's as data. i'm using nero burner and everything goes ok and it confirms that the data has been burnt onto some DVD-R which i have bought. the problem comes when i want to access the data on the discs there is nothing there. something is definately on the discs as by looking on the underside you can see where the data has been burnt. the same process works with normal cd's and with a re-writable dvd which i have. please help this is really causing me problems.

Last edited:
PLEASE provide more information ... what format is the video format in before you attempt to burn it !?

is it AVI,MPEG what is it !?

try checking it with G-SPOT

GET IT here ... G-SPOT codec Analysis tool and check the file and tell us what it is :)

then we can help you more :)

lewismale

right cheer's for that. the links gave me a better understanding but when i convert my avi files to DVD they double in size.

after doing some searching i came across the following website. http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/dvd-formats.html
it gives a description of what the different types of DVD formats do. it basically says that DVD-R which i have been trying to burn data on are more for films that can be viewed in a DVD player. and that for data being burnt and accessed DVD+R are more for that. so with this i tried to burn the avi files as data to a DVD+RW which i have and success the files are easily accessed after being burnt. so the 25 DVD-R's i bought will have to be used at a later date.
thanks for the help guys i'm off now to go get me some DVD+R's

lewis

Last edited:
In that case just burn the Avi's to a data DVD (not DVD Video) just the same as CDR
U must however have the correct codec installed to play them check them with Gspot (as above by Viper)

The-poacher said:
... U must however have the correct codec installed to play them check them with Gspot (as above by Viper)
as i understand, he even cant see disc content in Windows Explorer;

lewismale, looks like the DVD brand is crap or incompatible to your drive; try this to anlyse the burned disc: http://www.isobuster.com/

Greetings from
Duracell