blank dvd-r's which are acceptable

Furbreath

I've just started making copies of some of my movie dvd's. I've noticed that Kodak blank dvd's causes freezing when playing in my dvd player. I've ripped movies onto other blank dvd's and do not have a problem playing in my dvd player. Anyone know which are the best dvd's to buy or which ones to stay away from?

thanks,
furbreath

RITEK G04 media is highly recommended here at the forum and at a push RITEK dye based if you cannot get hold of REAL RITEKS :)

Kodak made great CDR media once upon a time, but has stopped producing any media since 2001, and currently just stamps- usually poor quality ones.

Yep,lots of people saying these dvdr's(Kodak) are junk.They're available here.I wouldn't touch them.

Furbreath

Before realising that there are problematic blank dvd's I had already ordered 200 Benq. Anyone use Benq and know whether or not they work okay?

Also, while we're at it. Maybe someone can let us know about the following brands :
Memorex
Maxell
Fujifilm
Apple
Cicero
E3works
JVC
Panasonic
Verbatim

This info may save a lot of us a lot of headache and money.

thanks,
Furbreath :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Fujifilm MIGHT be Taiyo Yuden - if made in Japan - there is also the Fujifilm03 media code, ok in some drives.

Verbatim looks like they've stayed with middle to top rated media throughout - none of the real junk codes there.

It depends, if your writer is a Liteon (generally better with +R), then using +R media with DVD-ROM bitsetting may give better standalone player results than -R media.

Some writers also do an excellent job, on what most people consider to be junk media.

The other thing, unless you are buying dead certain brand name media, the maker's OWN retailing brand name, then what you get may not even be what everyone says it usually is - many just rebrand whatever they can get a deal on, though some at least make an effort to distinguish them.
The "anything goes" brands are also usually inferior to, and more variable than the major names with the same media code.

Looking down the Benq list, I'd say the majority of them are middle rated ... no real stars, no real horrors.

Laz

Am very impressed right now with Prodisc S03 dye myself and find it as good if not better than the Ritek G04 and of course cheaper too. :)

One point to watch out for - Taiyo Yuden coded media that ISN'T TY - it it's too cheap, then it quite likely isn't - some drives turn in passable results for the media, but it completely fails to overspeed in drives that would normally get extra speed out of real TY.

al_lem

Furbreath said:
Before realising that there are problematic blank dvd's I had already ordered 200 Benq. Anyone use Benq and know whether or not they work okay?

Also, while we're at it. Maybe someone can let us know about the following brands :
Memorex
Maxell
Fujifilm
Apple
Cicero
E3works
JVC
Panasonic
Verbatim

This info may save a lot of us a lot of headache and money.

thanks,
Furbreath :eek: :eek:
Here's a piece of a post I made in another forum here:

"One thing I will add is that the LG GSA 4120b writer will NOT accept Memorex media.Here's the media,along with their "media code", I've used without problem as far as playing/accessing after a burn :

Fujifilm DVD RAM Matsu****a Electric Industrial CO.,LTD. M01J000.v11 x3
Ritek DVD -R RitekG05 (write @ 4x on a supposed 8x)
Sony DVD-R TYG01 (4x)
Maxell DVD-R MXL RG02 (4x) (is this a ritek?)
Verbatim DVD+RW MKM A02 (4x)
Verbatim DVD+R MCC 003 (8x)...."

9-23-04
I just purchased a cake of Prodisc 8x (prodisc f01) for my 4120b writer ( firmware ver=a110) as I had trouble writing @ 8x with the Ritek 8x (ritekg05) media.Both the Ritek & Prodisc media are DVD -R

What happened with the Ritek g05 media was that neither my writer or any media utility pgm's,ie DvdInfoPro,DvdId,ect saw the 8x burn speed.So I thought I'd try the Prodisc 8x media to see if my writer and/or authoring pgm's would work @ 8x.Well the good news is that the writer attempted a 8x burn,using PowerProducer2,that had encoded a TIVO pgm captured with WinXP Prof Moviemaker.But the bad news is I ended up with a Prodisc coaster when the 8x burn stopped about half way through with errors.I then saved & retried the burn @ 4x,using the Prodisc media,& the results were excellent.The DVD plays fine with both the p/c's player & a Toshiba,model SD3925,stand-alone player.

I may be limited to 4x with the writer.But I can live with that as long as the DVD media used will play in my stand-alone players.
I have only used the Prodisc media once or twice so more burns are required to say for sure.But so far so good.And you sure can't beat the price! :)

Al