bios blocked

jord 007

hi ive got a laptop toshiba 1800/700 series it been freezing up and also rebooting
coming up blue screen
and now it comes up this message
bios block1 damaged
call service man
it doesnt even load to operating system
so could this be faulty memory or hardrive
any help
much appreciated
thanks

Nunyobiznes said:
Try flashing the bios. might work.

NOT RECOMMENDED for the faint hearted unskilled :( ... this could make matters worse ... and how a new bios be obtained if this is the only machine available and its not working !? :confused:

Viper - His machine already took a sh*t on him. Nothing to lose. Everybody know at least one person with access to the net. Bios updates are small and can be written to a floppy disk. I would think that someone with a 1,000,000 posts here would be experienced enough to know that. ;) :p :D

Jord - Searched for toshiba 1800 bios on google turned up this:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp

Seems to be their support page. Should help. Filter to show bios only and get the most recent.

Last edited:
Nunyobiznes said:
someone with a 1,000,000 posts here would be experienced enough to know that. ;) :p :D
NOT QUITE 1 MILLION YET :p :D

we dont fully know if the bios is blitzed resetting it by removal of the battery or reset jumpers on the board may also fix this but being a laptop its not for the average joe user to take apart and try ! :(

flashing the bios may totally render it usless if it goes wrong .. so would be better to at least get an opinion of a qualified technician :)

to quote a paragraph on a forum elsewhere on the net same problem ....

I am facing same error as follows.
Here is the exact message:
"BIOS(Block1) is damaged! (Call your serviceman."

Serviceman: Place maintenance disk in drive and press any key when ready.

When I try to update the BIOS, sometimes updates later on Shows following message. sometimes it says write error.

BIOS(Block2) is damaged! (Call your serviceman.)

Serviceman: Place maintenance disk in drive and press any key when ready.

If again same update floppy used it shows error

"Bios File not found"

we try not to recommend a bios update flash here unless its a LAST RESORT!

experience tells us this is always a BAD IDEA for the inexperienced user! :)

and its a warning we cannot stress enough as it could make matters worse a lot WORSE :(

I'm guessing that the flash chip may have failed, in which case it is going to need some TLC - it micht be socketeed, or it might be surface mount that requires desoldering.

If it comes down to it, you would need a preprogrammed replacement, from somewhere like www.badflash.com

Also, if any form of system password was used (boot or setup), that can be problematic - some worse than others.

I'd find out what the cost of a professional repair would be, unless you are extremely competent in DIY PC maintainence - just getting tha thing apart and back together again is a swine of a job on most laptops

Viper - I suppose I agree. I think that people are reluctant to flash the bios for good reason, but there are times when flashing it might be the only way. There's always the old standby answer...hit it with a hammer and use duct tape.