Best way to copy dvd's?

HiBob

What is the best way to copy dvd's? I'm about the get the NEC 3500-A to backup my dvd collection and I was wondering does anyone know any good online stores in Canada where I can purchase DL media? What media should I buy? Do all dvd readers (for tv's) read +R DL media? Is there something more specific than just a brand name that you have to watch out for in media (ie different quality levels with a certain company).

do I still need to shrink stuff with a DL dvd burner?

mods can move this, my question changed...sorry

Last edited:

HiBob

so basically I don't use the shrink tool (if I'm using DL media), but I still have to read it from the dvd drive to my hd, and burn from there eh?

In terms of ChickenMan's tutorial, I use DVDDecypter 3.2.2.0 or later to rip the files to my HD. Then I use

NOTE: While this works for most DVD's, experience has shown that some DVD's when backed up this way will NOT play in your DVD Player properly, while the original does. In this situation, I suggest you backup as above but in FILE mode, then press Ctrl-A to select ALL the files and rip to HD. Run IFOEdit (www.ifoedit.com), click Open button and load in first IFO file. Click the Get VTS Sectors button, answer Yes to All IFO files and yes to any further windows. It automatically saves so just Exit the program. Add a blank AUDIO_TS folder to the saved folder and burn out as explained in Step 6 below.
Step six is burn using nero, which I have...do I have this correctly now?

Last edited:
Dvd shrink can do it all-rip encode-trancode and burn-and its a good proggy-freeware too :)
Still if you wanna copy a dvd with all extras-dvd decrypter is easy choice..
just copy it-make a image and burn
Additionallu dvd decrypter is probably best ripper outhere,kind of eac for audio as it got more chance to read a dvd if its dirty or scratched-theoretically :)
In a real world i had a 2 dvds which were scratched and i couldnt retrieve with either of proggys- :D

@ HiBob,

I have a NEC ND-2500 and a NEC ND-3500 and have found these DVD burners to be excellent in backing up my commercial DVDs.

I have found the best/easiest way to make backup copies of commercial DVDs is to use the combination of AnyDVD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/) in conjunction with CloneDVD 2 (http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/). Using the AnyDVD/Clone DVD 2 combination makes backing up copies of commercial DVDs a quick and simple process. Although these two programs are not free and need to be purchased they are excellent products and are simple to use.

You load AnyDVD and the start CloneDVD 2 and it makes an excellent back up copy of your commercial DVD shrinked/compressed to DVD5 size in one simple and quick process. The backup copy of the DVD is of excellent quality.

I have found that DVD-R media is the most compatible media type to use with stand alone desktop DVD players. DVD-R media is also slightly cheaper that DVD+R media.

Best Regards,
Coaster

I don't see why to buy a program when the free one will do the job. :confused: I say use DVD Decrypter.
One program to rip and then burn the ISO then your done. :)

HiBob

so...
A) I should wait until the new NEC comes out and supports -R DL burning? Reading from other posts says that -R DL media is more compatiable than +R DL and that -R DL is also cheaper....
B) @PC-GUY in ChickenMan's tutorial he says making an ISO isn't always the safest way to do things

NOTE: While this works for most DVD's, experience has shown that some DVD's when backed up this way will NOT play in your DVD Player properly, while the original does. In this situation, I suggest you backup as above but in FILE mode, then press Ctrl-A to select ALL the files and rip to HD. Run IFOEdit (www.ifoedit.com), click Open button and load in first IFO file. Click the Get VTS Sectors button, answer Yes to All IFO files and yes to any further windows. It automatically saves so just Exit the program. Add a blank AUDIO_TS folder to the saved folder and burn out as explained in Step 6 below.
but rather to rip as files and then burn with nero, which I will do anyways because I want to make my dvd's XBOX compatable....
Will my results be 100% as good as if I were to do this ISO way and burn using decrypter? What do you say to this "some DVD's when backed up this way (using ISO) will NOT play in your DVD Player...."
What does this IFOEdit do exactly, is anything lost (subtitles...etc.?)

Last edited:
HiBob said:
Will my results be 100% as good as if I were to do this ISO way and burn using decrypter? What do you say to this "some DVD's when backed up this way (using ISO) will NOT play in your DVD Player...."
What does this IFOEdit do exactly, is anything lost (subtitles...etc.?)
Well I burn 90% of my back ups (DVD9 to DVD5) this way and I haven't had a problem playing them back on any DVD player yet.:) As far as you said:
HiBob said:
do I still need to shrink stuff with a DL dvd burner?
@ $5.00 a blank on sale I'll shrink.:) Also never mind the fact that I don't know if the DL media will be able to be read in 6 months :eek:
I'll have my NEC ND 3500A this so I will play and hopefully I still have the same luck cause at 5$ a blank coaster can be pretty costly.:eek:

@ HiBob,

In the being of this thread you asked for the best way to copy DVDs. I believe my suggestion of using the combination of AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 is the easiest/simplest/quickest way to obtain a quality backup of commercial DVDs.

The combination of AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 is an all-inclusive combination. This combination descrambles all copywriter encoding and records to blank DVD media of your chose in one simple operation. Suggest visiting the AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2 links and view exactly what these programs do. If you want to record to Dual Layer media CloneDVD 2 supports this. I personally don’t believe using Dual Layer media is necessary to get good results. An example is that I recorded Gone With The Wind (3 hours 53 minutes) using AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 on a one DVD-R and in my book the video/audio quality is excellent.

AnyDVD http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
CloneDVD 2 http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/

There was mention that AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 cost money. That is correct but there is a reason they charge for these products. These products are excellent quality products that provide excellent results and there are extremely simple to use. You can download these programs for free and use then for a limited time to see if they meet your requirements.

I have used the AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combination with my NEC ND-2500/ NEC ND-3500 to backup over well over 200 commercial DVDs on Ritek G04/G05 DVD-R media and have never had one ‘coaster’.

Best Regards,
Coaster

HiBob

Thanks for you input coaster and PC-GUY

As you have both noticed, I am trying to avoid backing up my dvd collection with having to use a shrink option, I'm trying to get as close to the retail as possible.

@coaster, I will check out those programs when I finally get a dvd burner. I think I'm going to hold out for the next NEC one that will support -R DL as chickenMan said in the other thread (same subforum).

@PC-GUY
a) what is this about not being read in 6-months? The media dies after that lifetime?
b) why only 90% of backups this way? what are the other 10% of backups, how do you identify? them
@coaster, does this mean your two programs cover 100% of burns (without having that fail rate that chickenman mentions in his tutorial, where you then have to use ifoedit)?

what is ifoedit and when do I need to know that I have to use it? without making a coaster and then trying the file extration way and then using ifoedit....

thanks for helping thus far, I think I'm getting a better picture of this...

HiBob said:
@PC-GUY
a) what is this about not being read in 6-months? The media dies after that lifetime?
b) why only 90% of backups this way? what are the other 10% of backups, how do you identify? them
Most Media on the market is junk!!! So if you use it you will have problems with it!!! From reading to burning them in the first place. It one of the few things in life that you don't get what you pay for. :eek: Just because you pay a high price doesn't mean its good!!!
When its DVD5 I go to ISO and then I burn it.
Also on a 65 inch TV (not my TV) all my DVD5 backups look great. Thats what matters to me. :)
Do you plan on only buying $5 media (if your in the us)?

HiBob

@duracell, man thank you for finally giving me straight answer, I plan to then do backups that way, thanks!!!
Also when doing the nero burn, does this hurt compatiability on NON-XBOX dvd players (ie, retail dvd players, dvdreaders in computers)???
"Force DVD-Video Compatability Mode (Required for XBox)".
@PC-GUY how long do you think it will be until -R DL media is released that will last a long time (I realize there isn't any sort of -R DL media out yet)??? I understand that bad media will die, but this shrink process doesn't really attract me to backup my dvd's that way, as I said before I'm going for "as close to retail" as possible. And I understand now that you burn all DVD5's in ISO mode, and I guess the other 10% is DVD 9...

Last edited:
@HiBob,

I have Zero failure rate using AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 with NEC ND-2500/NEC ND-3500 Ritek DVD-R G04/G05 media after more than 200 backups of commercially produced DVDs. As stated before AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 is an integrated combination. These two products are an integrated complete package that are produced by the same company and designed to work together with each other that does the complete entire process in one step. You only use AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 and no need to screw around with DVDDecypter, IFOEdit, Nero or any other software. There is absolutely no other software required other than AnyDVD/CloneDVD2. These two products are routinely upgraded to incorporate the latest technology techniques.

I fully believe that there is no reason to use Dual Layer media to backup commercial DVDs. As stated previously I have backed up more that 200 and probably closer to 300 commercial DVDs as I am routinely make back ups for myself/family/relatives/friends. When viewed on big screen Television my backuped copies look exactly like the original. Dual Layer media is new and very expensive and in my mind (and others) is not a proven product at this point of time. Dual Layer media is just like the first generation of CD and DVD media which was very unreliable. If you are determined to use Dual Layer Media I would suggest using good quality DVD-R media first to perfect your backup technique and then move on to Dual Layer media. It has been reported if good quality equipment and good quality media is used DVD-R backups are expected to last for decades.

A major component in successfully backing DVD with a zero failure rate is to ensure you are using a quality equipment and excellent media. As previously stated using AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 with NEC ND-2500/NEC ND-3500 Ritek DVD-R G04/G05 media I have a Zero failure rate.

This not to say that when I first started to burn DVD-R backups 4 1/2 years ago that I did not have many failures. I perfected my DVD backup technique and found for me that the AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 with NEC ND-2500/NEC ND-3500 Ritek DVD-R G04/G05 media combination works for my friends and me with Zero failure rate.

I strongly suggest visiting the SlySoft website and reviewing exactly what AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 software does and how it works.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Best Regards,
Coaster

HiBob said:
@PC-GUY how long do you think it will be until -R DL media is released that will last a long time (I realize there isn't any sort of -R DL media out yet)??? I understand that bad media will die, but this shrink process doesn't really attract me to backup my dvd's that way, as I said before I'm going for "as close to retail" as possible. And I understand now that you burn all DVD5's in ISO mode, and I guess the other 10% is DVD 9...
Your guess is as good as mine. :)
As far as compatible goes (from reading the reviews) + DL doesn't have a problem with that as long as you use the BookType Setting.
For the price ($40) of good DVD - media (8 x $5 for 1 DL+r) try it before you knock it.
Most commercial DVDs are DVD9 (bigger then 4.7GB) and you have to shrink them so you can back them up. Some are DVD 5 (4.7GB and smaller) so you don't need to shrink.

I found a good quote for you. :cool::cool:
ChickenMan said:
No, didnt use Nero, simply used DVD Decrypter latest ver to read an ISO image and then burn it back. That overcomes Nero's layer brake problem and is easier to use anyway. I've yet to author a DVD9 from my own encodes but see no problem with using Nero as there will be no pre-existing layer brake in the image.
And I think Chickenman answered your question already. :)

ChickenMan said:

PC-GUY said:
I found a good quote for you. :cool::cool:

ChickenMan said:
No, didnt use Nero, simply used DVD Decrypter latest ver to read an ISO image and then burn it back. That overcomes Nero's layer brake problem and is easier to use anyway. I've yet to author a DVD9 from my own encodes but see no problem with using Nero as there will be no pre-existing layer brake in the image.
me thinks, CM didn't modified the IFO just in this described procedure; he ist talking about "ISO image"; it could result in a problem, when burning back this (DVD Decrypter) ripped ISO by using Nero;

this Problem shouldn't appear when ripping in file mode, modifying the IFO and burning back the files into the VIDEO_TS folder;
seems only CM knows how his postings are intend; :D