Best MP3 encoding software?

Hi there, I am looking for a quality MP3 encoding program I can use to take my CD's and encode them into MP3's so I can make mixes to play in my car.

I need the following features from the software:

1)
CD lookup information (CDDB?) so that it fills in the ID tag information automatically to save me time and just as important make sure that the ID Tag information is properly filled out.

Since my car stereo supports MP3 playback with ID tag info this would be nice, plus, it would be good for any future use as well.

2)
Has some customizibility when I do a batch encode (like when I encode all the songs on a CD) so that I can choose how I want the program to output the album, for example, let's say I wanna backup a Metallica CD, I could have it do the following:
(Create a directory named 'Metallica', then a sub-directory called 'Justice for All', then name the file according to a naming convention like 'Metallica - Sandman.mp3')

[Directory: Artist Name] --> [Directory: Album Name] ---> [Filename: Artist - Song]

My car MP3 player supports listing the directory name, file name, or ID tag info.

3)
Can offer some different bitrates to encode the mp3's at, with plenty of options or at the very least 1 key option to ensure one can make a high quality encode for use in playback on a nice car stereo but I am not interested in an encoding option that is overkill (like 320Kbps) since one of my prerequisites is I'd like to be able to store at least 60 (5 min) songs on a CD. I am concerned about encoding a MP3 to the point where If I increase the quality setting it would be very difficult for me to notice any audible differnces, but I don't need to use a exteremly high setting that records information I can't hear or notice.

Thanks guys.

(P.S.: if the program doesn't include recording presets, do you guys have any tips/suggestions what settings I should use so I can get the results I seek in point #3?)

po

Every newer ripping application supports CDDB. So before ripping make sure all info you retrieved are correct. Noone can guratee they are 100% accurate (even though they are checked).

You can easily define directory structure in EAC and CDex.

If you're not audiophile and don't notice any difference from high and lower bitrate default 128 will do just fine. Both CDex and EAC come with default settings (in EAC use default r3mix setting during setup). If you want to make sure your files are ripped without any error use EAC (exactaudiocopy.de) but if you want programme with simple interface which is also good ripper use CDex. Both are freeware. Use lame for encoding (128kbs and higher) and if you'll use lower quality than 128 than use Fraunhofer's encoder. I also read in some rewieves Fraunhofer is equal if not better than Lame at 128kbs. But lame is my all time favourite since I encode my MP3s at 192 and higer and nothing beats lame then.

Check out h++p://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?s= for settings for lame and to get to know how things work.

thanks guys I'll take a look at those 3 mentioned programs and see which one works best.

(In the case of lame, I am glad to see other gui programs work with it's interface to make batch encoding easier(and also handle cddb lookups).

thanks

po

Just curious guys how do you think this program stacks up:

Easy CD-DA Extractor v.5.0

or do you think this one of these are my best bet:

Exact Audio Copy (EAC) v.0.9 Beta 3
CDex v.1.40 Beta 9

thanks

po

ECDDAE is good. It has best interface out there but to me the quality is not just as good as EAC and CDex. Then again everything depends on system you're using. That's just my personal experience. Program itself is good but I prefer those two.

I think you'll be most satisfied with LAME + EAC 0.94 beta 4 is out some time now. And CDex made it to 1.50 beta 6. I think I prefer those two due to fact they are both Freewares and I don't have to spend hours searching for registration or to worry if it'll work on newer build.

Hey thanks for all the help nfol! I grabbed Exact Audio Copy and am gonna give it a while with my master cd's and take her for a whirl in my car tommorow. Thanks for the great advice.

po

nfol said:
ECDDAE is good. It has best interface out there but to me the quality is not just as good as EAC and CDex. Then again everything depends on system you're using. That's just my personal experience. Program itself is good but I prefer those two.

I think you'll be most satisfied with LAME + EAC 0.94 beta 4 is out some time now.