Best LP to CD software

What is the best LP to CD converting software this would include removing pops, hiss, and clicks from the source material.? This would also include either being noob friendly or a good manual or good online help.

TIA

Bud,there is a tons of that if you use a search button :)
Usually we here prefere samplitude or wavelab and i think those 2 are really the best appz for that,cool edit(adobe audition)and soundforge close to them,but first two are the top.
I did a many conversions from tapes-lp to pc before and if you wanna good job youll spend a lots of time,so i wholehearly recomend buing a cd instead of conversions :)
For a noob maybe steinberg clean too,couse its kind of automated thing,but my results were not impressive couse while is automated and fast but left clicks and artifacts left and right :eek:
Also for perfect results maybe some plugins-bundles would be googd,like waves restoration or from cheaper but excelent soundforge noise reduction plugin(do not know if its still selling but version2.x was excelent).
Recently-actually last software installed for that purpose(just from curiosity)was waves diamond bundle.It includ restoration +2more big bundles-total 35 plugins and it features nevest versions of their famous x-plugins and its really everuthing you can even think of pre and post mastering,audio design and restoration when you combine with good editor as wavelab or samplitude.
I remember they always had a demo(i dont know now)which was working 7 or 14 days so you should check it out at http://www.waves.com/
Also check the link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.backham/
Its a one of the first links i found about transfering to hd and that page is a alphabet for your needs.
Also his aplication called waverepair is the best by far aplication for restoring audio for a given price-its a 25$ and is custom made for restoration and including a real time processing :) (you can prewiev what are you doing) :)
Good luck and ask if you have a problem :)

Just one candidate: Waves Restoration Bundle. Superb software, ages ahead than aany similar one, and also very expensive (in fact: painfully expensive).
Can be used as a plugin to any audio ediror that can use DX or VST plugins, which means more money... unless you use it as VST with Audaccity, which can handle VST plugins and it's freeware

zver said:
I did a many conversions from tapes-lp to pc before and if you wanna good job youll spend a lots of time,so i wholehearly recomend buing a cd instead of conversions :)
Believe me if I could just go out and buy it. I would. The stuff I am working with only came out on vinyl or is out of print and very hard to come by. For example I have a few of the Beatles Capital(US) releases on cd from bootllegs but there are others that I need to put on cd myself.

Ok bud,i know what you mean,its trye that sometimes you cant find it,so arm yourself with patience and go for it.Its a doable thing-no worries :) :)
Still,i remember that guys here said that audicity editor also is not bad and its totally free,so if you dont wanna spend a $$$$$ or demos expire before you finish a job,try that one :) I did try and didnt like it at all..
But really try a samplitude just to see what a cutting edge of audio is,
Thats a real tough editor :) :)
It can do everything you need and mich more,it can do everything and much more what we here on forum think its even possible :)
Also,keep in mind that its best to capture-record in a best format you can get,so if your hardware support it,go with a pcm48khz so after you can compress it when a restoration is done.
Also,when you start recording dont use enhancers or something.Do a regular-clean recording,maube you might throw a dc inside to take a hum from a hardware.I remember that a sound forge dc was really effective for taking a subnoise out(dc plugin is got funkcion to take a noise from your hardware-which is oscilating-cant think of proper english word for it??).
good luck!! :)
Edit1;just saw that scarecrow mentioned audiocity now-he is the man and if he recomending it??it must be a good solution-so check it out :)
Edit2;keep in mind that a good editor is really expensive and when you finish a job,you might not using it much,so dont waste your $$$easily.
For example i dont have a editor installed now at all,couse i dont need one,only 1 i got is a mp3 direct cut-it can do a mp3s without decoding to wave first-all editors have to decode a file before processing it,thats why i said record in wave couse no decoding needs.
Also,regarding a samplitude,it will automatically record and split the tracks when the pause is,and will burn it too.If sometimes guess wasnt good,you can drop a marker manuallu.Anyway im going too much talking,so bye!!
Edit3;Just found a dc diamond cut millenium which is a good restoring tool for 59$$ excelent price :)
you can download as demo and it will last 10 days-but its not criplled in any way so if you are fast you can do a job with it :)

Last edited:
Usually there is not a best program or approach for this kind of tasks, the best is the one you get to know better. Fortunatelly there are plenty of options. So let me share my personal opinion:

A few months ago I went over the process of LP to CD transfer of the most beloved pieces of my old vinyl collection that I haven’t get on CD. I have no relation whatsoever with companies or business related to these matters, I’m just a rather picky amateur audiophile with very little tolerance for bad sound, and some years playing with putters. Nowadays you can get pretty serious audio and video editing software running on any reasonable up to date putter. In the last 2 years I have been able to play with most of the main software available. As said, I’m not a pro and do have to do other things for living, but I’ve done my share of research and trial and error. So, let me contribute my current opinion about this matter.

First you need to get the best analog to digital conversion you can manage to. In this step the main limiting factors are mechanical; the condition of the original vinyl, of the stylus, cartridge and turntable. Almost any decent home stereo and sound card will do a reasonable job (in audible terms) doing the analog to digital conversion. You can compare the sound coming from the turntable and from your hard drive. If you can’t hear the difference there ain’t no difference!

For Noise Reduction or cleaning of the digitalized sound it doesn’t matter the GUI you’re using; Wavelab, Samplitude (or Sequoia), SoundForge, you name it. What matters is the plugin who does the real job and your mastery fine-tuning it. On this, Waves Restoration Bundle and Sonic Foundry Noise Reduction packages seems to be the most respected. Both will work with the mayor Audio Editors. I became used to SonicFoundry GUI first (SoundForge, Vegas Video, CD-DVD Architect, etc), and now fell comfortable with it (at the beginning I did tried Wavelab but at least for me SoundForge clicked first; same thing with Samplitude; maybe cause I’m not germane) so these days I’m using SoundForge to handle audio files. Waves Rest and SF Noise Redu plugins knobs or settings are very similar. I was quite happy with the results I was getting with SF Noise Redu but after hearing what they say here and in related sites about Waves Rest I decided to do a trial. You may say I just played a little with Waves Rest and much much more with SF Noise Redu, but as said, the main knobs are quite similar. And I couldn’t get to hear better results with Waves. As a matter of fact, to my ears SF Noise Redu did a better job; less noise without appreciable distortion or audible loss, as can be heard through studio quality headphones.

So I guess is fair to say that you can get really good results with any of them, Waves Restoration Bundle or Sonic Foundry Noise Reduction lasts packages, and that for this task, LP to CD, the GUI (Sound Editor plataform) is a matter of personal taste or experience.

Last edited: