Best/Fasted DVD burner?

So does anyone know which DVD burner is the best and the fasted?

I'm looking for one but I have no clue were to start of which on to buy and I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out. Sorry if the question has been asked already.

I would check out the new NEC ND1300a it does has 4x speed and does both -r and+r discs and i have seen it for as little as £135 :)

I use the Pioneer DVR-A05 (Retail DVR-105). No problems yet, PLUS it's firmware can be updated and downgraded (or become an RPC1 drive and discard the 2x limitation it has for cheap medias) at once and anytime u want. Nice burner BUT it is only a DVD-R/RW drive and NOT a +R/RW. ;)

I used 1-2x for all my DVD Video. It will playback with no problem. Too fast speed may have playback error in other' Setop dvd player.;)

HP 300VI

Anyone have one of these? Ive used Hp's for awhile notdvd hp
but They have always been very good drives.
My toshiba well it, well it looks good,

Sorry, no more Hewletts for me. I had quite a few of their products, but sold them all because I got spam instead of support/drivers every single time I needed it.
Plus that some of them were absolute junk... not the burners, though (not such a big surprise, they were OEM Sonys, HP had just sticked their logo on them).
DVD 300x series are "+" drives, they aren't cheap and the price of the media will make them even more expensive.

Last edited:
I hate packard--what a garbace company..that 300 drive is a rebadged nec,so go for original--cheaper too....

Thanks for all the helpful posts guys, I desided to go with the Sony DRU-510A which if I'm not mistaken is the latest model.

Did I make a good choice? I got it for $160 since my Mom works at bestbuy.

• Sony introduces World’s First 4X DVD±RW Drive

• Records on DVD+RW/+R and DVD-RW/R media and standard CD-R/RW discs so you can choose the right disc for the task at hand

The new pioneer 106 should be available by the end of the month, this one is + and - compatible and will be a very reasonable price at £175 UK dosh.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hardware_Section__.html

What! Well I payed a little more $301. Is your retail or OEM?

Looking at best buy right now, 349.99, Now look I believe a lot of things, 10% off or even 20% off but Ive never heard of 50%
off for relatives of employees, I contacted them to see if I good get 50% off If my mom works there, If so she's fixing to come out of retirement and go to work at best buy. Unless its OEM

Last edited:
Well MINE CAME IN TODAY

Installed it, well darn it, INCD doesnt work with it, nor does direct
cd, Have to use the software that came with it, DLA seems to work ok, But boy this baby can burn, copied a few VCD,s using alcohol 120 worked perfect, Did one dvd using DVD xpress
205 its ok but even after selecting widescreen still came out letter box. Using Memorex DVD-R Plays great in my pioneer dvd player, Jason X cdid right full screen. HMM, Fixing to try a PSX2 game let you know . Signing off for now driftonin