Best AVI Convertor ?

I am completely new to DVD backup. I have read a number of tutorials/web sites/forums and would appreciate some advice on my selection of DVD to AVI convertor.

There are two encoders avaialbe from www.divx.com:

DivX-original encoder (free)
DivX Pro-advanced encoder ($19.99/adware infested)

How does vidomi compare against each of the above?

Are there other alternatives to consider ?

Apologies if these questions appears stupid.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. lol
I don't think your question was, nor are you. Stupid people don't ask questions, but there are some exceptions lol.
Anyhow, to your questions:
Both will give you good results if you know what you're doing. The DivX Pro for $19.99 does not have adware. The gain version of it I think does have it. There are ways to get rid of that, but won't discuss here. You can find it on the web if you search.
If you are a big serious encoder and need absolutely the best, then you would go for the pro version, otherwise the original free version will do you fine. Just some more advanced features that you won't be able to use.
That being said, with the right software (in your case vidomi) you can get very good results anyways. For Vidomi there is a new patch available for compatibility with the newer DivX versions. It handles things well and ChickenMan has excellent tutorials.
Give the free version a try and test things out yourself.
Feel free to post more questions if you have any. 9 times out of 10 it will save you time and headaches lol.
Good luck

if u want free,spyware-less,go 4 xvid...i'll also find zat vidomi is somewhat customized 4 xvid(or vice versa)..;)

Last edited:
Just so prevent any confusion, the DivX or Xvid codec is what does the actual encoding/decoding of a divx/xvid movie, however you really need an aplicatication that can use these codecs. Vidomi, Gordian Knot, etc. are good dvd to avi apps.