BENQ DW400A firmware to change to -+R?

jhendrickx

Hi, a friend bought a new DVD Burner, a BENQ DW400A, and it's only +R, he wants to have dual (-R/+R) capacity, it this possible? How can he accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jean

I didn't find any f/w to do what you want to do. :( But do you know they have a BENQ book type tool from what I read it works on the 400a & 800a. Check out CDR-Info for more info on it. :)

jhendrickx

Uhmm, I didn't understand the exact difference between DVD+R and DVD-ROM ... I believe only was DVD+R and DVD-R, being +R with better quality and more expensive ...

Thanks for your answer ...
Jean H//

Think it will only support Dvd+r.Book type(bitsetting)changes the write strategy of Dvd+r to dvd-rom for better compatability with players.You can get the utility,and latest firmware here.

DVD-R was the first standard for writeable, but then DVD+R came along.

DVD-R tends to have better player compatibility than DVD+R, but using bitsetting, which makes the recorded +R media report it's type as DVD-ROM can help player recognition - in general, if you are recording +R for a standalone player, you SHOULD bitset it to DVD-ROM, if the option is available).

DVD-R media tends to be cheaper than +R, though until recently, there was more junk media in -R, but +R is catching up in that area.

If your drive only supports one standard, then you have to stick with that one - even if you have a dual format drive, they often favour one, in quality, or in getting higher speeds on +R