BenQ DD DW1620 Pro XP SP2 Driver

dehillen

I just installed a BenQ DW1620 Pro DVDRW in a Windows XP Home system with all updates, including SP2. Windows correctly identifies the new hardware, but then wants a driver for it. I have been unable to find anything about a driver for this burner. I have never even had XP ask for one that was not found 'automatically'. The BenQ site only had firmware updates, which I installed.

I have tried leaving the checkmark in 'Don't ask to install this device again.' but I get the prompt every reboot.

The burner is the first device on the cable. Both the DVD burner and DVD-ROM are set to Cable Select. (I tried swapping them around and tried with a CD Burner as well with the same results.)

All software works just fine. I can play DVD's and CD's with sound in both devices and Nero Express recognises both.

I just want to get XP to stop asking for drivers every time I boot up. (I now just hit cancel and all is well.)

Any suggestions woudl be appreciated.

Did you try un-installing your IDE drivers?
What Mother Board do you have?
Do you have any other IDE drivers installed other than MS?

Don't use CS. Just put the jumpers to the master/cable positions, and use an old, 40 wire IDE ribbon.
IDE devices do not need any drivers to operate, even under Windows 9X. You might check for an update of your IDE controller drivers, though.

dehillen

Will try

Scarecrow and PC Guy, thanks for the quick replies. This is not actually MY PC, so I'll have to try your suggestions and get back to you on the results.
It's a Dell PC with an Intl MOBO. The only IDE Drivers listed are Intel, Primary and Secondary. I had seen a forum post where a NVidia IDE Driver was causing problems but had not heard that even Intel IDE Drivers could cause issues.

I installed the drives as CS as Dell PC's seem to like that. I will try Master and Slave, putting the DVDRW as Master on a 40 wire cable.

I will also delete all the IDE Drivers and reboot to see if resolves the issue.

I will get back to you two ASAP with the results.

No need really to remove the IDE drivers, so that the PnP OS will rediscover America. Just use master/slave, 40-wire and get sure (after logging back in) that your DMA status is UDMA-2.

For someone else a recurring "new hardware found" problem was solved by directing the wizard to an MS .dll that for some reason Windows couldn't find on it's own:
http://www.dvdrbase.com/showpost.php?p=235070&postcount=18

I would only try deleting the IDE drivers in 'Device Manager' as a last resort. When I did it on my Dell to restore DMA access I got a "missing or corrupt hal dll" error message when I tried to reboot. I was able to restore XP but another person who had the problem on a Dell had to reinstall (hal.dll wasn't missing or corrupt in either case).

dehillen

Solved

Many thanks for all the great feedback. I tried the Master and Slave scenario and then the PC was detecting BOTH drives as new every reboot. I figured out that is was the Play and Play that was messed up. I was getting the same symptoms when I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card. I could have manually forced the install as suggested, but that would only work until the next piece of hardware was added. So, I backed up all the critical data and did a wipe and reload. DVD RW discovered on first boot and loaded no problem. That pesky 'Found New Hardware' wizard was never seen again......

Thanks again for all the responses. Sorry for the lengthy time in responding...