B & W Output playing DVD-R's on PS2

I have recorded a movie on a DVD-R for use on my sisters PS2. It plays perfectly, however - I lent the same movie to a friend but the output is Black and White. Can anyone tell me why this is? If she plays a commercial DVD, it comes out in colour :rolleyes:
Both machines are connected to televisions via a scart lead so why is this happening on one and not the other? Thanks.

Do you use a different cable?
I dunno about ps2,but on the psx,I needed a special scart cable to play NTSC games,because the output was black and white,pal played in color......maybe the movie is copied as NTSC?

Roadworker - thanks for your help... the movie I tried was NTSC but it doesn't make sense how it plays on one PS2 in colour and black and white on another, unless my sister has an option on her television for NTSC output and my friend doesn't.... interesting.

NTSC on a PAL only Telly does that. Newer TV's in Europe have NTSC playback capability. Older and cheaper ones do not. When I lived in NL, I had real multi-system TV's, so it was not a problem.

some "scart" leads are actualy only composite whilst some are rgb. an unmodified ps2 will make all movies appear green on a true rgb lead wheras they will play in colour on a composite one.

so assuming that the pic wasnt green then both your friends had the lower quality (cheaper) composite scart leads, i'm guessing that the one who saw the movie in black and white was watching on a tv that wasnt compatable with the ntsc output. the movie would have to be an ntsc region zero disc (or a de-regioned copy) or an unmodded ps2 would not play it at all without a dvd region x disc (or similar)