Avi 2 Mpeg2

chronicking

hello all. i'm a bit new to this and have been reading quite abit but can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i'm re-encoding alot of avi files i have to mpeg2, so i can burn them to dvdr. im using the tmpenc encoder. my question is: how small should i make the mpeg's not to lose any quality? i was guessing about 3 times the size of the original avi's. [which is about 200-300 mbs per 25 minutes-avi's] which would make the mpeg's about 600-700 mb's.

does this sound about right? or can you re-encode the avi's to about the same size? it makes me wonder why you just can't burn the avi's with out the conversion so no quality loss takes place.

this is a bit off key but why avi and not mpeg to begin with? and what is avi format the standard to? i read the definition in the glossary but it still left me a bit clouded. i'd appreciate any responses. thanx! :confused:

chronicking said:
hello all. i'm a bit new to this and have been reading quite abit but can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i'm re-encoding alot of avi files i have to mpeg2, so i can burn them to dvdr. im using the tmpenc encoder. my question is: how small should i make the mpeg's not to lose any quality? i was guessing about 3 times the size of the original avi's. [which is about 200-300 mbs per 25 minutes-avi's] which would make the mpeg's about 600-700 mb's.
I tend to put about 2 1/2hr to 3hr MAX on a dvd, the size of the avi's is almost irrelevant as it only one piece to the puzzle.

... it makes me wonder why you just can't burn the avi's with out the conversion so no quality loss takes place.
You can (and I do) but you need a DVD Player that can play AVI's. There are many of these units around now and are priced right as well.

this is a bit off key but why avi and not mpeg to begin with? and what is avi format the standard to? i read the definition in the glossary but it still left me a bit clouded. i'd appreciate any responses. thanx! :confused:
Its a bit like in Audio, you will see lots of MP3 files and almost no WAV files on the net, have you checked their mb size difference? If you did, you will see the reason why. Same with Movies, an AVI file is highly compressed (like an MP3) so is substantially smaller than an MPEG2 or DVD. A typical 1 1/2 hr to 2hr DVD (typically 6-7mb in size) can be compressed to 700mb (1 CD size) with not much loss in quality if done right. Smaller files are easier and cheaper to archive and quicker to send via the internet. That way I can get 6x 1 1/2hr movies per dvd and watch them on my DVD Player, or 12 to 18 TV episodes to 1 dvd, that makes easy watching :D

chronicking

ChickenMan said:
I tend to put about 2 1/2hr to 3hr MAX on a dvd, the size of the avi's is almost irrelevant as it only one piece to the puzzle.

well my avi's are like 20-25 minutes each ranging from 200-300mbs. if i change these to mpeg2 and go for about 5 or 6 per dvd, they should end up about 600-700 mb's each. does this sound about right? i use the bitrate calc but didn't really know how big to make the mpeg's. i gather from what you're saying is that i should try not exceed 2.5-3 hrs actual playing time on a dvd in mpeg format?:confused:

ChickenMan said:
You can (and I do) but you need a DVD Player that can play AVI's. There are many of these units around now and are priced right as well.
i hear you. i just bought a phillip's DVP 642/37. i'ts a bit slow as far as loading and resuming but it plays the avi's flawlessly......so far. here's a link on this player. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp+642&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25
i bought this one as well......... http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvr+1600&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25
it's a cyberhome and according to that review it's just what i need. according to the review it burns -r & +r..........we'll see.

ChickenMan said:
Its a bit like in Audio, you will see lots of MP3 files and almost no WAV files on the net, have you checked their mb size difference? If you did, you will see the reason why. Same with Movies, an AVI file is highly compressed (like an MP3) so is substantially smaller than an MPEG2 or DVD. A typical 1 1/2 hr to 2hr DVD (typically 6-7mb in size) can be compressed to 700mb (1 CD size) with not much loss in quality if done right. Smaller files are easier and cheaper to archive and quicker to send via the internet. That way I can get 6x 1 1/2hr movies per dvd and watch them on my DVD Player, or 12 to 18 TV episodes to 1 dvd, that makes easy watching :D

so i guess the standard on avi's [i'm using divx] when compressing 2-3 hrs worth of film is what like 700-800 mb's?:confused: that would be real sweet.:D

i wonder if you can create entire an iso avi from a dvd and have a shrunk avi file that is exactly like the original dvd with menu's and all!!!?!?!? i know you can add chapters according to some guides i've been referencing on this matter. i'll go ahead and post a few in case readers dont' really know where i'm going with all this.

http://www.easy-answers.com/how-to/anime-dvd/menu.asp

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/70/59/

http://www.xbox-guru.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/divx_to_dvd.htm

by the way chicken man, how are you? i've talked to you a long time ago about some aspi drivers and the lame project. i thought you retired from this forum? anyways, glad you commented on this thread. i've been reading so many guides that i get a bit confused. most of them are the same but sometimes with a different twist. which this brings me to the last question of this reply, which is........aspect ratio and frames per second. tell me this. is my final goal when trying to make a avi/dvd/cdr that will play on my standalone dvd player/TV 29.97fps and 1.333 = 4:3 ? ive read about cropping letterbox and such but all these are destined to be watched in the living room onthe telly and not the pc.... thanx for any responses..............later

Attachments

Last edited:
chronicking said:
well my avi's are like 20-25 minutes each ranging from 200-300mbs. if i change these to mpeg2 and go for about 5 or 6 per dvd, they should end up about 600-700 mb's each. does this sound about right?
Yes, 6 x 25min eps (under 3hrs) will give a bitrate of the final encode above 3000 and approx 740mb in size (4460 / 6 = 740).

chronicking said:
i use the bitrate calc but didn't really know how big to make the mpeg's. i gather from what you're saying is that i should try not exceed 2.5-3 hrs actual playing time on a dvd in mpeg format?:confused:
Yes, thats what I said. Also, chuck your bitrate calulator in the bin, D2S does all the calcs for you, except CD size which you would specify yourself.

chronicking said:
i hear you. i just bought a phillip's DVP 642/37. i'ts a bit slow as far as loading and resuming but it plays the avi's flawlessly......so far. here's a link on this player. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp+642&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25
i bought this one as well......... http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvr+1600&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25
it's a cyberhome and according to that review it's just what i need. according to the review it burns -r & +r..........we'll see.
Fantastic, they are great units :)

chronicking said:
so i guess the standard on avi's [i'm using divx] when compressing 2-3 hrs worth of film is what like 700-800 mb's?:confused: that would be real sweet.:D
The standard is 700mb avi size so it can fit to 80min CD :) 40-45min episides are 350mb to get 2 per CD.

chronicking said:
i wonder if you can create entire an iso avi from a dvd and have a shrunk avi file that is exactly like the original dvd with menu's and all!!!?!?!? i know you can add chapters according to some guides i've been referencing on this matter. i'll go ahead and post a few in case readers dont' really know where i'm going with all this.
Check out RatDVD, not the best quality, also slow, but does what your asking.

chronicking said:
by the way chicken man, how are you? i've talked to you a long time ago about some aspi drivers and the lame project. i thought you retired from this forum?
I have really, I just pop by every now and then :)