Avg ?

www.grisoft.com - I use this as my main anti-virus (free editon) and so far its been great and highlighting viruses well, because its free you might want to use another virus scanner along with it for extra precautions.

*ChRiS said:
www.grisoft.com - I use this as my main anti-virus (free editon) and so far its been great and highlighting viruses well, because its free you might want to use another virus scanner along with it for extra precautions.

What like Norton you mean????....LOL.

In all seriousness though, AVG is a very good virus checker, especially for free and I guess they give it away for free to try and prevent viruses spreading. I've just installed it on a friends system as he didn't want to pay $40+ dollars for a year of updates to Norton.

Norton is pure bloat ware as far as I'm concerned and as for McAfee, that piece of crap didn't spot a trojan, even though windows was going nuts telling me this file had a back door program buried in it. When I scanned the file with McAfee, it told me in its wisdom that the file was clean. That CD found it's way into my own recycle bin in the back yard very quickly.

....DreeM :)

Re: Re: Avg ?

DREEMTHEEF said:
In all seriousness though, AVG is a very good virus checker,
Is it?
18 failures under Windows (without even a single 100% award) and 50% under DOS is a dismal scoresheet:
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml
The problem is not really missing some samples or whatever, but the overall bad program performance as reported in VB tests (available in full only for subscribers).
The only reliable and free antivirus I know is the home edition of Avast 4.

dx

Re: Re: Re: Avg ?

scarecrow said:
The only reliable and free antivirus I know is the home edition of Avast 4.
Indeed, a fantastic AntiVirus and one of the best out there. Suprising that it Free. Well you do have to register for it though..... but a cheap price to pay! :cool:

Here is where to find it, BTW..... http://www.avast.com/

scarecrow,

Did you note that Avast also failed the latest round of tests and has failed 17 tests overall?

....Looks like there's no one true solution.

However, you did prompt me to take a look at it and it's downloading as I do this msg.

I like the GUI - looks a lot nicer than AVG and it claims to have a generic SMPT/POP scanner......Do you use this feature?

I've gota mail server and want something that will work with it.

Cheerz

Siriosys

I recall another test where AntiVir PE ( www.free-av.com ) scored well - it's MUCH stronger on Trojans and other assorted non-viral malware, but actually a fraction weaker on on the main virus side - also the only one I've tried that gave me a false alarm.

In general, pick the one that provides good general protection as a resident (on access) scanner, and scan all incomings (especially if the source is untrusted) with as many others as you can - including the free DOS version of F-PROT.

And make whole-system scans too!

PS. The Outpost Firewall has an additional function (even in the free) to rename potentially hostile email attachments so that they do not run.
Or use an exploit-resistant email program, such as Pegasus

Last edited:
Siriosys:
Avast! 4 has not competed in any Virus bulletin test yet! :D
(the Feb2003 WinNT failure you mention is for version 3.0.519.1).
This failure was due to the miss of a single sample of VBS:Redlof in on demand test. Avast stuff claims that this is strange, and the sample might have been bad, as they don't have any problems with VBS:Redlof on boith on access and on demand tests.
And anyway, the engine of version 4 is radically different than version 3. Avast! crew says it's far from being optimized yet, and can get much better, but at least it's damn fast and not returning lots of false positives, as was the norm for mid-development version 3 releases (and which, quite deservedly, was the cause of many VB100 failures in the past).
AVG cause of failures is much more serious, unfortunately the "pass" or "fail" of the virusbtn site does not explain much: You need the whole text scoresheet, which comes at a price (quite high).

....Hmmm, very intersting.

Thanx for that.

I did install AVast! and had a little play, however it didn't work with my Mail server so I'm a bit reluctant to use it.

Cheerz

Siriosys