Audio Problem With Split AVI Files

davidspooner

Hi there,

I seem to have found a problem with split avi files and their audio.

I have just had a couple of split avi files that were in two parts. Both parts had improper VBR's so i used VirtualDub to correct the problem like i usually do. But after the process i find that the audio stops around 10-15 seconds before the end of the video!!! When you go back to the original AVI the sound continues to the nd and is just slightly out, (Due to the improper VBR). The wav file that VirtualDub created seems to have been cut off around 10-15 seconds early hence the audio finishes 10-15 seconds before the video in the newly dubbed avi file.

Anybody got any ideas how to solve this problem....When i carry out the same process with the 2nd part of the movie it works fine but on both occasions with differant movies the 1st avi part file has the same problem with the audio cutting off very very early.

Thanks

David.

Try using mplayer or mencoder to decode.
mplayer:
mplayer.exe -ao pcm -vo null -vc dummy input.avi -aofile output.wav
mencoder:
mencoder.exe -oac pcm -voc copy input.avi -o output.avi

mplayer will give you a pcm wav, mencoder will give you a new avi with decoded pcm audio and the original video.

davidspooner

Celtic Druid....... Thanks for the reply but i am running on Win XP and i can't seem to find windows versions of either of the two programs you mention....

Any other ideas?

Cheers

David.

They always used to have win32 builds available on their ftp. Lately I have just been compiling my own, however they are specific Athlon-XP compiles. Builds on the mplayer site were always compiled with CPU runtime detection.

davidspooner

I'll try and get a copy of goldwave....... I used VirtualDub to save out the audio to a .wav but it has missed the last 10 seconds or so....Only happened on two occassions and both were with part 1's of split avi's. Have used it perfectly on numerous other occasions.

Cheers

Dave.