Any TMPGEnc Plus experts here?

I have been encoding files I downloaded off the net (.avi) to SVCD but some of these files though small in size (200+mb) comes out to a whopping 1-1.5gig which I do not understand why.

Is there a forum or faq which I can refer to? Thanks in advance.

A DivX at 200meg can blow out to 1.5meg SVCD no problems there.

It all gets down to the bit rate used to make the DivX in the first place. If the pic size is made small and low data bit rate for both Video & Audio then you end up with a poor quality AVI, but small in size. In TMPGEnc if you take its standard templates asks for a high data rate for Video (and Audio) and its pic size is basically fixed at 480x480/576. The mpeg2 encoding in a SVCD is no where near as compressed as it is in a DivX.

What is the length of the DivX movie in time, thats more important than meg. You will fit about 79min of VCD movie onto an 80min CDR and about 50min of SVCD. As for a DivX on an 80min CDR, well anywhere from 30min to 3hours or more. So if you have a 1 1/2hr movie (typical length) as a DivX and regardless of its size, it will always convert to a 900meg VCD file or about 1.5gig SVCD file, with both cut in half to fit to 2 CDR's.

Then a 22min episode would convert to just under 400 mb as a SVCD encoded VBR. In TMPGenc what Template did you load in? Waht other setting did you change, etc?