ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE FAILS TO UPDATE using AOL and xp home edition ?!

ok heres the problem

my relation is currently using AOL as there isnt much choice for broadband where he is and a cheap enough price :)

anyhow long story cut short

he's currently using XP HOME EDITION

we tried using AVG freeware and this refused to update automatically stating no internet connection found when it was connected to AOL !?

we also tried AVAST home and this also reported the same fault no internet connection !?

I do not have direct access to the computer and remote access is to complex to initiate by telephone explanation as hes just starting out with computers :)

does anyone have a solution for this problem !?

I have got him to check the obvious windows firewall is off so thats not blocking !?

any help provided thanks in advance :)

PC-GUY said:
You most of all should know AOL sucks at any price!!!!!:eek:

:mad: That WAS NOT THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR PC-GUY :mad: we all hate AOL but some do not have a choice or much of a choice for unlimted uncapped downloads! :mad:

We hate microsoft but some of us still HAVE to use it! :mad:

Im prolly wrong but doesnt AOL use some kind of proxy to connect?

Should just be a case of finding the proxy info & puttin it in Ur AV update settings :)

BaNzI :D

once i saw AOL and Norton AV in friendly coexistence at a GF's PC;
Will this be a pleasant solution? :D :p

Greetings from
Duracell

Duracell said:
once i saw AOL and Norton AV in friendly coexistence at a GF's PC;
Will this be a pleasant solution? :D :p

Greetings from
Duracell
Ask jasmin I'm sure he will know how to get it to work.:p:D

gettygas said:
I use AOL , like it for the kiddies keeps them out of trouble.:D
Hmmmm, DON'T AOL give you free (AV) :confused:

i think this is the problem i have yet to get back on the phone to the relative but i think its possible their (AOL) built in protection IS CONFLICTING or crippling anything else :(

VIPER_1069 said:
i think this is the problem i have yet to get back on the phone to the relative but i think its possible their (AOL) built in protection IS CONFLICTING or crippling anything else :(
Like I said AOL SUCKS!!!!:p:rolleyes::D