Analyst says PS3’s in stock = Not Good

Just yesterday I was in a Wal-Mart and an EB Games; do you know how many Playstation 3’s I saw? 11! That’s right, almost a dozen 60GB Playstation 3’s were on the shelves, waiting to be claimed. And just think, two months ago one of these bad boys was worth upwards of $2000. That is simply unbelivable. Wal-Mart had 7 in their glass display while EB told me 4 were in the back (1 of them was returned).
While Sony fanboys may still be sore from the shock of this, it should come to no surprise to those who look at this industry from a practical and logical point of view.
Read what GameDaily BIZ reports industry analyst PJ McNealy is saying about the current surplus. It basically boils down to this:
  • Lack of new exclusive games - This is pretty obvious. Resistance can’t hold the reigns forever.
  • The $600 price point - It is hard for gamers to justify spending that much money. Most people even thought the Xbox 360 was too expensive when it launched.
  • Blu-Ray has yet to take off - Let’s be honest, HD-DVD has yet to make its mark either. Thus, it’s tough to market these formats to consumers.
THATGAMEBLOG
So can anyone guess how much trouble sony is in.:D

Attachments

Sony to miss FY PlayStation 3 sales goal by 25%, Nomura report says

TOKYO (MarketWatch) -- Sony Corp. (6758.TO) will reach only 75% of its global target for PlayStation 3 sales this fiscal year through March, according to a Nomura report released Monday.
Nomura cut its target for PS3 game units shipped during the period to 4.5 million from 6 million, citing poor sales over the holiday season in North America.
The Tokyo-based consumer electronics maker is fighting to keep its position at the top of the video game market against rivals Nintendo Co. (7974.TO) and Microsoft Corp. (MS). The company's rollout of its newest system has been beset by delays and supply shortages, but it has maintained it will sell 6 million units through March.
Sony said last week it had shipped 1 million consoles in the U.S. in 2006, but it sold only about 470,000 in Japan according to data released by computer game publisher Enterbrain Inc. This put it well below its global goal of 2 million for the year.
The unit is due to be released in Europe sometime in March.
In its report Monday, Nomura also cut its PS3 sales forecast for next fiscal year to 10 million from 16 million next fiscal year and to 11 million from 18 million for the following year.
But Nomura maintained its neutral rating on Sony shares, saying it expected strong large-screen television sales in North America and continued strong performance from the Sony Ericsson cellphone joint venture.
Sony shares finished trading Monday up 2.5% at Y5,700.
-Edited by Mayuko Ota

[FONT=georgia,arial,tahoma]Gabe Newell thinks PS3 “a total disaster” ?[/FONT]

Oh my.. According to a post on NeoGAF, Valve Software co-founder Gabe Newell has some mighty strong opinions about the PS3 in the most recent issue if GameInformer: “The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I’d say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a “do over”. Just say, “This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it”.“ Yup, that’s way out there. I haven’t seen the magazine so please treat this as a rumor until a scan or a photo of it turns up. But if this is true..I honestly can’t even imagine how Sony would respond.
Update: Several major gaming sites are now reporting this as well, so looks like this is a real quote from the guy. Let’s see if and how Sony will choose to respond.

[FONT=georgia,arial,tahoma]PS3 not selling in Japan either[/FONT]

As of January 16th, Sony has shipped 1 million PS3’s to Japan and IGN reports that the stores are indeed full of them. But while Sony has seemed to overcome the production issues, the bad news is that the shiny machine isn’t selling there either. This probably boils down to the fact that the system simply doesn’t have (good) enough software yet to sell the hardware and only the hardcore fans are showing their support.
IGN also writes that since launch, the PlayStation Network has crossed the 500,000 registered users mark. 300 000 of which have downloaded the free Gran Turismo HD Concept demo.