amd athlon winxp-pro help

i have amd athlon 1000 winxp sp1
every now and again my pc will
restart for no reason at all, never had
this trouble with win98se

is there anykind of a fix

Sound to me like part of the problem is that you don't know why the system is rebooting. Hence, start>control panel>system>advanced --->uncheck auto reboot on error.

Then when you reboot, you can check the event viewer in administrative tools to find out what happened. Then you can research the error. [Then you can uninstall XP and install Win2k, but that's mho.]

thanks

the man in the computer shop told me
its a well known problem with xp+amd
he said there is a fix you can download
but i can not find anywhere

ill try what you said thanks

Weelll, you can't always believe everything the man at the computer store tells you (cf. Intel marketting strategies), and if this is the guy who sold you the puter, you should beat him about the face and shoulders until he repairs his product. Telling you just to go find that download somewhere is not on.

That said, there are a number of rumoured and perhaps a few real software issues with AMD and Windows, but which one are we trying to address? That's why I suggested we find out why your computer is rebooting.

Another good source is the ever-wakeful geek-corps at the forums of amdmb.com. If you pick the forum section that corresponds to your mobo manufacturer, they will tell you much more than you could possibly need to know about what the problem is. That said, they're an enthusiastic, helpful bunch.

clearup

sorry if i led you wrong way

i bought the pc from time about five years ago

i had various operating systems win98+98se+win2000
all work perfect

except winxp pro,i thought sp1 might help but still same problem
i also thought it might be the fan,cleaned out spotless,still same problem.

so i whent to the market,theres a computer guy there
i told him about the pc keeps rebooting for no reason
the first words he said have you amd prossesor yes

theres your problem he said
try downloading the fix

fix i cannot find

Last edited:
yes clean install of XP a couple of times

sp1 by automatic update

i really hope there is a fix
cause i like winxp pro

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Catachresis, you should go back to the market and "beat him about the face and shoulders until he repairs his product. Telling you just to go find that download somewhere." Also, there is also nothing wrong with AMD processors and as a matter of fact, I prefer them over Intel myself.

Id.

Re: no

joanna said:

the guy from the market just gave me advice
Ask him what "fix" he is speaking about. I never had that problem with XP nor have I ever heard of it before. Then again, I only had XP on for a month or so before I upgraded to 98SE and Win2k dualboot. ;)

Strype

SHUTDOWN PROBLEM

I run Xp Pro on a Amd processor, only once has it automatically shutdown. I believe this is an inbuilt facility of Xp whena fatal error occurs on the system. I am also running the software on a NTFS partition.
I suggest that you look for some kind of incompatability within your system, for instance does it always shutdown when you do a certain thing or run a certain piece of software. There is a reason for it, XP is only doing the best thing and preventing further problems.
Within Xp's options there is a tab which is default set to shutdown and restart when a fatal error occurs.

dx

Hate to tell you guys, but the "man in the computer shop" is correct...there is a well known XP AMD problem!

You can read about and find the fix here:

http://forum.cdrsoft.cc/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12014

The problem is with the AMD optimization code for DirectX 8.1 (which is built into WinXP). M$ knew about it long ago, but only reluctantly released a patch for it just prior to SP1. This problem causes your system to crash and restart with no error.

However joanna it seems you have already updated to SP1...which his supposed to have the patch integrated.

Sorry folks you are on your own there...as I do not recommend SP1 in any system unless you are having major problems. SP1 introduced a great deal of new bugs that are just not worth it IMHO.

Are you getting any error (blue screen) when your system crashes joanna? Posting it here would help.

dxkim said:
Hate to tell you guys, but the "man in the computer shop" is correct...there is a well known XP AMD problem!
Well, that sucks! ;) On the same token, if I "know" about a problem and tell someone about it, you can bet your tail I will give them more specifics than, "download the fix." Advice like that will give everybody in the IT field a bad rep. Just ain't right...

Good heads up though dxkim! But we expect nothing less. :D

Strype

joanna, I have 3 pc's with amd processors, two of them are athlon XP's the other is athlon 1000 like yours. I also run WinXP Home and Pro (now with SP1), and have for over a year now. I've not experienced a problem such as you describe. Auto reboots are usually due to hardware or driver incompatibilities. Out of date Sound Blaster drivers, nVidia drivers, and various other out of date sound and video drivers are often the culprit. Also, incompatible RAM can cause random reboots. FYI, check your drivers and hardware.

also PSU [power unit] probs can give you those symptoms....have you added any new hardware..??....or could just be getting a bit tired..:)