AMD 5000+ and FX62 support socket 939 shocker

AMD website confirms
The INQUIRER Monday 29 May 2006, 10:21
A READER sent us a note that AMD will release Athlon 5000+ and FX 62 in socket 939 flavours. This is great news for many socket 939 supporters as we believed that 4800+ and FX 60 will be the last stop for you all. AMD certainly hasn’t made a big song and dance about it, but it clearly say on its website that it will support this old socket supporting DDR one with its new CPUs.
Upgrading from socket 939 to AM2 will cost you a lot of money as you need to buy a new motherboard, new CPU and new set of memory as you do need DDR 2 to make AM2 work. Now with 5000+ and FX 62 listed for 939 you will just be able to buy a new CPU and your old memory and board should support it.
You can check out what AMD says, here. You can clearly see that Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (socket AM2 and 939) is priced at while Athlon 64 FX-62 (socket AM2 and 939) will cost $1,031. :eek:
VIPER will take two.....:rolleyes::)
Here is a screenshot of the AMD website as well.

Attachments

*rubs hands together with EXCITEMENT * 5gb processor x 2 lol :)

@PC-GUY can you lend me some cash mate im broke from the last project lol :p

Not sure what 5000+ means in real terms - I'm also less than convinced by dual core, unless you know that a task multithreads well, or you make a point of launching two CPU-heavy tasks, or one and something else you don't want crippled.

Must admit, my P4 with hyperthreading has an odd quirk - first I know of something jammed at 100% CPU is the thermo-fan starts racing - when a no-HT single core would be grinding to a halt - the first time I've had 2 CPUs, even if it is only 2 logical units.