adding sub/idx files to conversions (please help)

Gaz Elwood

ive recently downloaded a film from the net which came in a few parts. 2 avi files and also 2 idx and 2 sub files. ive used virtual dub to join the 2 avi files and cucusofts avi to dvd to convert to dvd, and i know my next step is to author with tmpgenc ready for burning. i assume the idx and sub files are the dts or 5.1 for the film but dont know how to get them together with my newly created mpeg2 file...also synching may be a problem. can anyone help? it would be very much appreciated.

Gaz Elwood

thanks for that. not really bothered for subtitles. have you any tips on getting 5.1? is it possible with cucusoft?

If the AVI's have 5.1 AC3, then simply demux and reuse it. After joining in VDubMod, simply select demux for the AC3,then run it through BeSplit and add it with your M2V when you are authoring.

But if the original AVI just contained normal MP3 audio, then no you cant get AC3 5.1. You can get AC3 2ch, just not 5.1. I'm not aware of any software that can fudge 6 channels out of 2. Only Hollywood has such inhouse software.

If you check the doom9 audio forum there are plenty of posts/stickies on 2channel --> surround. No idea how well any of them work though.

Presumably a 2CD rip and therefor a pretty good chance that it has 5.1 AC3 audio.

celtic_druid said:
They are subtitles, if you want to have them on your DVD I could move this to a more appropriate forum, otherwise just delete them.
Please do! I have a film and is in a foreign language. The subs and idx are included. I used Tmpenc 3 to convert to mpg then Ulead DVD Author to burn.
BTW this film was ripped in AC3 audio and sounds awesome on my home entertainment system - just need to make a new one with subtitles.

Thanks!

I thought it was in a dead language?

That comment was addressed at the original poster, who I guess was not interested in the subs. Why not just start your own thread in a more appropriate forum?