A Quest:

Does anyone know an easy way to do this:
I have a dvd player that will play Avi files copied straight to disc without any alterations at all (cd, cd-rw, -dvd and -dvdrw)
I have an avi (xvid and ac3) I have a seperate subtitle (which I have put through the blender, resulting in .sub .idx .srt and .ssa)
I want to play the film with subs (without re-encoding) is it possible?
I HAVE done it through various methods but all requiring re-encoding, but IF it can be done somehow without, I would really like to know :)
Thanks

Some DVD/AVI Players will play Subs, most will not. Unless your player is known to play them, you have no alternative than to re-encode them hard encoded within.

ChickenMan said:
Some DVD/AVI Players will play Subs, most will not. Unless your player is known to play them, you have no alternative than to re-encode them hard encoded within.
Thanks for the reply :)

I have since discovered my xvids straight to disc now dont always play straight through :mad: They will randomly freeze in different places. Might go 2mins, might go 60mins :confused:

That problem is normally associated with high speed burns or low/average quality media. I have no probs playing Xvids or Divx's on my player but all CD's are burnt at 16x max and on quality media, like TDK or Mitsui.

ChickenMan said:
That problem is normally associated with high speed burns or low/average quality media. I have no probs playing Xvids or Divx's on my player but all CD's are burnt at 16x max and on quality media, like TDK or Mitsui.
The annoying thing is they dont stop twice in the same place.
I have tried 52x and even x4 on cds
Dvd x8 x4
Dvd-RW x4
I take your point about the media though :) I have been using Datasafe and Ridisc cds, which are supposed to be Ritek and Prodisc, but I cant get any media id from them using (Dvdinfo, Vso inspector or NeroInfo tool)
Dvds are Datawrite yellow (cmc mag ae1)
Dvd -rw Verbatim (mcc)
What media code do you think is the best? I dont mind paying, if it will work.
What method do you use when burning the xvid to disc?

I'm currently using RiData 52x (as I cant always get my trusted Mitsui's) and identified as made by Ritek (as expected) by CDR Identifier. (DVDRInfo reads DVD's ONLY :D ) Datasafe, Ridisc and Datawrite Yellow are all pretty crappy media really, the only decent media you have is the Verbatim -RW's :D You really can go wrong with genuine Ritek labelled -R media with either G04 or G05 manuf ID. The Ritek labelled media is all A Grade, they sell off their B & C grade stuff for others to label them with other brands. You simply get what you pay for. TY is reported to be very good but genuine TY media is virtually unavailable here in Oz.

I burn AVI's to DVD-R's now only using Nero at 6x or 8x depending on what Riteks I have and in DVD-ROM (ISO) form, as my player prefers that to UDF form for my AVI/MPEG/MP3 disks, but that can differ for each player.

If the player is DivX certified then you could use xsubs. External subs work fine here though. Upto 3 lines.

DVD will help if the files use high bitrates.

I would have thought that most players support external subs? Most (all?) MTK ones should and I believe ESS based ones do to and that should cover most players out there.

Hmm the Ridisc turned out to be CMC (Alcohol 120)
@ChickenMan Looks like its time for a better class of disc :D Looks like these 100 Ridisc cds are audio bound (well minus the 10 or so coasters :) ) I think I have been spoiled with my old player, which would probably have tried to play a slice of pizza if I`d put it in :D
@celtic_druid. I have tried SRT2bmp. (after coverting the idx to srt with Vosub subresync) but after creating the BMP files I cant get any further. It never gives me the xsub (or deletes the bmps)

And thanks to you guys for bothering to reply. :) I swore I wouldn`t refill my `DVD partition` with loads of apps, but its happening again, in that search for ..."quicker, easier, better"
by the way are do you guys put xvids to cd or dvd?
Cheers Spottydog