24-Bit Decoding/Encoding

I have a couple of CD's that were recorded in 24 bits. Can anyone kindly suggest how I can extract those 24-bit tracks and burn it onto another CD preserving the 24-bit recording?

Thanks in advance. :)

Do you have to modify the tracks?
If not you don't need to extract your tracks, if you just want to have a copy I would simply try to copy it with Clone CD.
Hope this helps ;)

mmm.. if its realy an "audio CD" then 24bit is not the case here
16bit is how an Audio CD is "build" on

Last edited:
Yes I agree SUNDrak, cd audio standard is as you said, probably it's just a cd with some 24bit wav on it ;)

lore & SUNDraK,

Thanks to both of you for your reply.

Yes, unfortunately I need to extract several tracks from different CD's and burn a compilation. I'm also going to embed CD-Text into it for my car.

I might have been a huge sucker for the marketing strategy but the CD's do read "24-bit Recording". And if you read the specs of the later models of home theater amplifiers and DVD players, they now do 24-bit.

the red book standard is 16bit only on 44.1khz that Sony and Philips created in the begin 80's what u hear on dvd and such is totaly diffrent ball game
but its def. not part of the specs made at that time
DVD had besides higer bit rate also more chanels

I wish there was an Higher bit rate audio cd's that u can pop in ur player, 16bit is crapy compare to (good old) Vinyl

Anyway Feurio is a cd brun software specialy made to make audio cd's

extracting audio from an audio cd u can do with lots of proggies u can find on the net

Last edited:
If you play those CDs on a normal home cd player you can be sure they are not 24bit, as SUNDrak said you just need to rip your tracks and burn with your favorite program.
I would suggest you to search a bit the forum about it, there are a lot of threads about ripping and burning audio CD, the search button is in the start of this page..
I personally use EAC which is available here:
w*w.exactaudiocopy.de
As far as I know this is the best ripper ;)

lore & SUNDraK,

Thanks again for your inputs. Please bear with me some more, but what do the recording companies meant when they printed 24-bit recording on the labels? And what do the specs on players/amplifiers/decoders mean when it reads 24-bit DAC?

I really appreciate your help regarding extraction and burning. I actually have extracted and burnt dozens of CD's already but it's just the 24-bit CD's that I have that I'm confused about.

Thanks in advance for your reply. :)

Jimmy

Thanks, pokopiko. So there is in fact a way to burn in 24 bits. Does Samplitude 2496 also extract into the same rate? Into wave files? How? Wave files only come in 16-bit 44.1Khz, right? So what file format does it extract to? And could you kindly comment on 24-bit players as well? Are they for real or just a marketing strategy?

'Sorry about the barrage of questions. Hope to hear your views on these matters. Thanks in advance. :)

Jimmy

Alright then. Like I said, I apologize for the barrage of questions. It's just that it's the first time I read that it can be done.

Again, I really appreciate your inputs. :)

Jimmy

there is a way to play off tracks on higer bit rate BUT u need a DVD player to play them off
just leave the picture out of it and leave the music on it and there u go a "better" audio cd :D

encode the waves into the dvd standard, not much can be placed on a cd ( i think about 15+min) a friend did i just too experiment with the whole dvd standard thing so it can be done BUT is it worth it... :confused:

sniff on http://dvd.box.sk/ i'm sure u can find how that standard is build and how to encode in such...

Compact Disc bitrate

All of you are right about some of your points. Yes, Redbook audio CD (which is what nearly all of us listen to) is truly a 16 bit scheme, and 16 bit resolution is all that every normal cd player can return. However, there is one method called HDCD which uses the LSB (least significant bit - read lowest value) of the 16 to modulate 4 additional bits - in effect giving 'almost' 20-bit resolution. Of course, HDCD-compatible cd players are required to hear the difference. And, yes, it does improve the sound. Don't listen to HDCD discs on non-HDCD players, though, they sound harsh. EQ tweaks can help. Also, DTS encoding is a method to compress up to five channels of higher resolution audio on cd, but it must be sent digitally to an external decoder if you have only a cd player. There are some other methods to imrove the sound of cd recordings - JVC's XRCD - extended resolution cd is one. This method and some others rely mainly on using hi-precision timing in the data transfer and glass mastering stages to reduce jitter effect. Some people hear a noticeable improvement in the hi and low end. Still only 16 bits, though.
Also, DVD audio can be put on cd as mentioned earlier, but of course no cd player can take advantage of it.
When you purchase a CD that claims 24-bit resolution, generally they mean all of the work up until the final master creation was done in the 24-bit domain to maintain the quality level. This can help the sound quality a small amount.
DVD-Audio and even DVD-video specs offer greatly increased audio resolution over cd. Once 96 kHz, 24-bit audio is heard by the masses, people will realize just how good dvd audio can sound, and there will be an eventual shift to release music on dvd.:cool:

To Everyone Who Responded:

Thanks a million for your inputs! :)

I believe I now have the answer to my question (or at least part of it anyway). There is now in fact an audio CD standard that uses 96Khz and 24 bits format. If I'm not mistaken it's called SACD or Super Audio CD. Of course, you must have the hardware that supports this format to take advantage of it.

Also, you all probably know that the DVD-A is another format that has veered from the 44.1Khz - 16-bit format. But then that's a totally different story.

Cheers,

Jimmy

New discs: Unfriendly but better sound

Some urge consumers to wait it out

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) --Two new digital audio disc formats touted by the music industry for their stellar sound are nowhere near as consumer-friendly as regular old CDs.

They're engineered to be copy-proof.

The proposition thrills digital piracy-fearing record executives. But many audiophiles are cool to the virtual padlocks, which could prove the undoing of one or both formats.

About 1,000 recordings are now available in Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio. Both require special new audio components and produce five-channel sound with superb clarity and definition.

Yet each format contains digital watermarks -- extra encoding designed to lock the recordings on the disc. The intent is to foil digital duplication and ripping to MP3 files.

Moreover, there are no digital outputs on any SACD or DVD-Audio players now available, making them a tough sell despite the discs' higher tonal quality and fuller audio range.

The Audible Difference in Palo Alto, California, is refusing to sell SACD or DVD-Audio players until manufacturers can ship a hybrid unit that plays both formats as well as legacy CDs in the highest quality sound available.

"Until we see a product like that, we're sitting on the sidelines and we're counseling our clients to sit on the sidelines," said Tim Fay, who sells high-end stereo equipment at the store.

How the units fared

The Audible Difference has tested several units, Fay said. It found that the SACD disc playback quality is superb, but the legacy CD playback was not.

None of the 55 members of the Arizona Audiophile Society want players with these hardware limitations, said Don Hoglund, the group's president.

"Some of the members had them and sold them. They got frustrated with the lack of availability of titles and the analog outputs only," he said.

Sony, which developed the SACD format with Philips, says it will continue to make SACD players without digital outputs until there's an industry standard for securing the digital audio stream.

"With high-resolution audio, the need for secure interfaces becomes even greater, since the quality of audio on such formats as SACD is virtually indistinguishable from the master (tape)," said Sony spokesman David Migdal.

Panasonic hasn't incorporated digital outputs into its DVD-Audio players for the same reasons.

Despite the intentions of the manufacturers to limit digital copies, consumers favor such uses for music.

In a recent Gartner G2 survey, 88 percent of respondents said they believed it legal to make copies of CDs for personal backup use while 77 percent felt they should be able to copy a CD for personal use in another device.

Here's how watermarks and copy protection schemes for both DVD-Audio and SACD currently work:

•Sony and Philips have developed Super Audio CD discs that contain two watermarks. One is for visual verification. The second is invisible, authenticates the disc for playback and is introduced during the mastering process. Without the watermark, the disc won't play in a proprietary SACD player.

•Dual layer SACDs exist that contain a second session of legacy CD content that can be played on some existing CD players, but the higher quality SACD tracks can only be played on SACD players.

•DVD-Audio discs use similar encryption technology from a company called Verance. The company's chief technology officer, Joseph Winograd, said the acoustic watermarks cannot be heard by the human ear. The watermarks must be present for the player to recognize the disc and play the content. A bootleg DVD-Audio without the watermark would fail to play, Winograd said.

Verance was contracted to provide the watermark solution by 4C Entity, a consortium of technology companies -- IBM, Intel, Matsushita and Toshiba -- charged with creating an industry encryption standard for protecting audio content for DVD-Audio discs.

The protections come just as prices for computer DVD burners have dropped to as little as $299.

Techie tinkerers will likely also be looking to attack the copy-protection schemes of DVD-Audio and SACD just as the scheme for DVD movies was cracked several years ago.

GartnerG2 analyst P.J. McNealy says the public should be fully informed about the copy protection aspects of these new discs.

"I don't think anybody per se is against copy protected CDs. I think they're against no-labeled copy protected CDs," McNealy said. The labels are optional at this point.

None of the dozens of DVD-Audio and SACD discs examined at Virgin Megastore in San Francisco mentioned the underlying copy-protection scheme in their outer packaging.

Fred von Lohmann, an intellectual property attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, says the onus will be on consumers to make sure they're aware of what they're buying.

"Copyright owners are entitled to use whatever formats they want to use," von Lohmann said. "If they really want to protect their content they can go back to vinyl."

Jim Castaneda
i have the same problem

i burned 24bit music cd with clone & eac & feurio but i was not able to make peferct copy

now are u able to make 24 bit copy?

feurio support answer

> Dear sir

> can i copy audio cd (24 bit) with Feurio! ?

No, cause they are no red-book compatible 24 bit audio cds.

Best regards:
Jens Fangmeier (Feurio! Support)

--
Fangmeier Systemprogrammierung - Methfesselstr. 102 - 20255 Hamburg
E-Mail: support@feurio.com * Feurio-Homepage: http://www.feurio.com/