107d Slow!!!!!

hi

ive just installed a pioneer 107d in my pc
the 107 is backing up dvd's ok, its just so slow. the read rate is 1.9-2x and the buffer goes crazy (jumps up and down as low as 10%. the write rate is the same as the read speed its taking 30 mins to do a disc at least and also dvd shrink takes 36 mins:O even when using dvd DVD Decrpter its only reads at 2x have tried the drive in a friends computer and it works fine the way it should speed, buffer etc.tried using my friends ram as well still the same also a new ide cable.
im running windows xP home, the 107 is my primary master drive and my hard drive is the primary slave drive
im running:
1gb of ram
p4 2.8
this should be plenty
any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
John..........
ps do i need firm ware but don't think i should if so where and how?? :confused:

Yes you need firmware try this. I don't have a pio but what your talking about is a problem with them with out hacked firmware.
Maybe someone can post on which one is the best one to use.:)

With most firmware flash programs all you have to do is pick your drive when you run the program. But make sure you don't have media in the drive and in some cases you need to shut off DMA on the drive. But keep this in mind like it says on the top of the page of the firmware
"These pages are only for advanced users. Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively. Read carefully the installation notes of your firmware before you upgrade. The Firmware Page and the drive manufacturer can't be responsable on REMEMBER: This is at your own risk!!!!"
So if you don't feel comfortable don't do it. But like I said you may want to wait and see what other members say is a good firmware to use. Good Luck. :)

tried the dma thing m8 also the newset firmware still no luck
its strange because it burned and read a disc on my maters no probs correct speed etc.:(

yes it should work just fine you may find it easier using the dvrflash GUI read about it here

:)

the link for the firmware above is for version 1.16 i use this version as some people have had a few problems with 1.18 :)

how did you flash the firmware the first time !?

anyhow heres a link for same firmware including the flasher batch file get it here

you may need to right click the flasher exe choose properties then choose the program tab and look for the drive letter in the command line ... this must correspond to the drive letter of your pioneer 107 edit it and change it to match your drive letter :)

hit apply :)

eject your 107 drive drawer then double left click the flasher exe this will start the batch process of flashing the firmware answer Y to the questions when prompted and wait unitl all the processes have completed and at no point in time close anything in the middle of the processes or power down or anything that may mess about with the flashing process :)

make sure you run the flasher exe in the same folder as the firmware or it will not find the firmware to patch the drive :)

this should allow 12x read of dvdrs although it may not be constant across the whole disk but it will be a lot faster than the default speeds you have now :)

its all in the same folder the 1.18 and 1.16 take i the 1.18 out of the folder then do it again its saying in th e dos window version 1.18

ok for some odd reason the link above pasted as the same link as before this has now been changed to the 1.16 inc the flasher utility :)

just unzip the firmware above into its own folder right click it and choose "xtract to +++"where "+++" is the same name as the zip file then run the batch file called flasher thats within that folder :)

[TPK]Loki said:
... the 107 is my primary master drive and my hard drive is the primary slave drive ...
:eek: both should be master; never attach an ATA device (HDD) 'behind' an ATAPI device (burner);

my recommendation:
1. channel 80-wired cable, master: system HDD, slave: storage HDD
2. channel 40-wired cable, master: DVD/CD

after buying the new drive:
1. channel 80-wired cable, master: system HDD, slave: storage HDD
2. channel 40-wired cable, master: new DVD-RW, slave: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM/CD-RW

configure all drives by jumper, don't use cable select; also have a look at this http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

then go sure you don't have Intel Application Accelerator installed, DMA is enabled and IMAPI deactivated;

Greetings from
Duracell